Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Activity, Nov 13th

brianb

If every day was Friday 13th ... astronomy would be a lot more fun! The Sun was shining from a clear sky this morning, following a largely clear night with a biting southerly wind. The seeing was really poor, and didn't improve as the sun gained altitude (not that it gains much at this time of year); in fact the seeing started to deteriorate before the high cloud associated with the approaching Atlantic depression became evident.

The calcium disk image shows two small plages, neither of which contains anything which might be visible in white light.

Sun-091113-1132-CaK.jpg

2009 Nov 13, 1132 UT. PST CaK @ f/10, DMK41.

The same plages are visible but not prominent in Ha. However there is a significant filament near the south east limb:

Sun-091113-1125-Ha-discSE-X2.jpg

2009 Nov 13,1125 UT. Solarscope 60 @ f/16, DMK41. This image also shows the larger of the plages.

There is also a notable group of prominences on the east limb:

Sun-091113-1120-Ha-promE-X2.jpg

2009 Nov 13,1120 UT. Solarscope 60 @ f/16, DMK41.

Transparency fair, seeing bad to awful with severe boiling.

I'm glad someone is keeping up the good name for solar observers!

Where I lived in Oz we had a 10 year drought, killed the sheep and almost all the trees! but at least I got to see the Sun.

Over here I think I'm suffering from SAD....

I know the Sun must be somewhere... maybe that brightening in the gret cloud cover... not sure...maybe not..

Archived