Carbon Fibre Telescope Finished

paul11

Wow, it a labour of love, but worth it in the end.

I've never worked with C/F. Did you have to take any H&S precautions with the fibres (i.e. mask/goggles) when you cut it, or are the fibres not small enough to present a danger? Ditto the E/P - are the vapours harmful at all?

Can't wait to read your first light report!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting stuff Paul, looks a fine job. The tube build photos takes me back to fibre glass days rebuilding a Lotus Elan body.

LOTUS - Lots of Trouble Usually Serious LOL

I used to own a 7 and later a Europa.

Oddly I was thinking the same about fibre glass - helped make a canoe once and it was kind of similar.

Whats the weight like of CF ? compared to aluminium on a scope tube.

Wow, it a labour of love, but worth it in the end.

I've never worked with C/F. Did you have to take any H&S precautions with the fibres (i.e. mask/goggles) when you cut it, or are the fibres not small enough to present a danger? Ditto the E/P - are the vapours harmful at all?

Can't wait to read your first light report!

I never used a mask when I was gluing up the C/F but I did when I was using the Router and Band saw to cut it.

LOTUS - Lots of Trouble Usually Serious LOL

I used to own a 7 and later a Europa.

Oddly I was thinking the same about fibre glass - helped make a canoe once and it was kind of similar.

Whats the weight like of CF ? compared to aluminium on a scope tube.

I can’t tell you what the weight difference is between C/F Metal and Aluminium but I can tell you that this tube weighs in at 7lb and is 5mm thick. I think I better try to explain how this came about. As this was the first C/F tube I’ve made I just didn’t know how strong to make it so I ended up making it 10x stronger than it needed to be. If I made another one this size (250mm) I would use a single layer of C/F, then a layer of 1mm coremat and then one more layer of C/F and that would be more than strong enough and would only weigh about 3lb and be approx 2mm thick.

Thats a great looking tube Paul :rolleyes:

And the $64000 question is (Im surprised noone has asked this yet) what was the total cost for the tube build?

Including £40 for the cardboard tube it came to about £220. The next one I will make is going to be 1.8m x 400mm and with a slightly different design it won’t cost any more than £250 and that’s not bad for a C/F tube that size.

Hi Paul

are you going into business to produce and sell these tubes?

I am realy impressed by what you have achieved so far.

Good luck with the mirror.

I look forward to your first light report.

No real thoughts on making them as a business but if someone did want one made I may be able to help them out. I’ve still bit a bit more to learn about the strength and thickness these tubes need to be. If the next tube I make with 1mm coremat works out ok then I think I will have it all worked out,,,Paul.

Now for the mirror cell, for this I Laminated 3 layers of 3mm coremat between 4 layers of C/F. This was made up between 2 layers of 6mm glass, I put peel ply on top of the last layer of C/F to give a matt finish while the first layer of C/F was laid directly on the glass to give a gloss finish. Then a made another one with a matt finish on both sides.

post-15572-133877409803_thumb.jpg

Here’s an image of the 2 discs, on the right is the outside disc (gloss finish) with 3 11mm holes in it. On the left is the inside disc that will hold the mirror, I drilled 3 holes and put in the 10mm brass inserts, they look great and really work well.

post-15572-133877409824_thumb.jpg

Archived