SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky at Night magazine

mwalke36

Hi,

can anyone tell me the cheapest place to get a subscription of Sky at Night magazine? I have looked at the BBC magazine website, but was wondering if anyone new of any other sites that have subscription offers.

thanks

Mark

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, adverts are one of the things I like about magazines. And you wouldn't get many books for £32. :-)

I've got to argree I like the adverts too! Mainly due to all the ideas they give me - to spend my money on or at least to do more research on. I also like the monthly guides - they are beginner friendly and easy for everyone to check-out!

Cheers

The magazine is just pitched at such a low level...

That's where I am. :-)

Is "Astronomy Now" any better?

You'll probably like it better. My impression is that its a bit drier and aimed at the casuals a bit less.

For information content, all the mags put together can't hold a candle to the Internet!

Steve

Since I've re-started astronomy 3-4 months ago, I have read Sky at Night, and Astronomy Now, to "catch up".

Both cover the latest astronomy news, and both have a 14 page monthly guide of what to see in the sky. Whilst you can look everything up on websites, and computer programs, I find it handy to see in one place when certain astronomical events are happening, etc.

I personally prefer Sky at Night, as it contains more reviews and tests of scopes, eyepieces, mounts, etc - Astronomy Now has very little, and no "rating guide" of previously tested items.

What I would prefer, is few pages each issue that showed the scores of every item that they have tested in the past (a bit like in some of the camera magazines), so that you can quickly check to find out if an eyepiece or mount is great, average, or useless.

£2.67 per issue doesn't seem too bad - when I grab a frescato coffee on the highstreet it now costs me £3.05 :rolleyes:

Nathan

Actually, adverts are one of the things I like about magazines. And you wouldn't get many books for £32. :-)

Steve

Horses for courses I guess. Personally I object to spending money to look at adverts, especially when 99% of the info is already on the web. :rolleyes:

Plus, a quick perusal on Amazon or The Book Depository show that there are quite few decent Astro books you can buy for £32.

(re adverts)... when 99% of the info is already on the web. :rolleyes:

I think both books and magazines are up against it in the face of the web. There is a million times more information on the web on any subject you like than any book or magazine can cover. And its all for free.

I'm currently studying info about Black Holes, mainly on the web. I get the info free and its up to date. Magazines don't have the space to cover the subject in depth and books are expensive and out of date on the topic.

The Inter spoils us! And its time-consuming! :-)

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On a lower note. I still haven't recieved my first mag yet since subscribing nearly three weeks ago. I've emailed them to ask the score but they haven't replied. :-(

Steve

Steve I ordered 3 weeks ago and just received a letter telling me that my 1st issue will be delivered in january.

mark

Thanks Mark. Its amazing that I can get a response here and not from the magazine company. They must be losing money with their current attitude. If they'd have told me that my first delivered issue would be the February one when I initially ordered, then I may have bought the December and January issues off the shelves. You'd think they'd offer a bit setter service in these days of plummeting magazine sales!

BTW, did the letter say which issue would be delivered in January?

Thanks again,

Steve

Not wanting to hijack this thread, it's about the S@N December mag and the adverts in it...

Is anyone else miffed at the way the FOUR PAGE Telescope House advert is right in the middle of the monthly sky chart??!!?? :hello2:

Because of the calendar, it's not even the middle pages so you can't just pull it out... I have taken the calendar out and re-jigged about 8 pages of the mag so the sky chart and most of the monthly sky pages are together.

I thought I had cracked it, but now pages 61-64 are right in the middle of the beginners article about the Earth's orbit!! AARRRRRRR!!!!!!

I don't mind (and quite like some) adverts in magazines - but when it is laid out in a crazy way that messes up the "proper" content of the mag then it drives me loopy!! :icon_eek:

Sorry to rant, I'll go lay down for a bit and re-re-jig the magazine's pages when I'm calmer :mad:

Andy M...

Thanks Mark. Its amazing that I can get a response here and not from the magazine company. They must be losing money with their current attitude. If they'd have told me that my first delivered issue would be the February one when I initially ordered, then I may have bought the December and January issues off the shelves. You'd think they'd offer a bit setter service in these days of plummeting magazine sales!

BTW, did the letter say which issue would be delivered in January?

Thanks again,

Steve

Hi Steve,

after reading the letter properly it states that I will receive the Jan 2010 issue. Below this in bold 'Titles are published during the month PRIOR to the date shown on the cover'. I assume this means I should receive the January issue this month???

Mark

Andy I can't agree more, I was furious when I saw what they had done.

QUOTE=NiteGawper;1332043]Not wanting to hijack this thread, it's about the S@N December mag and the adverts in it...

Is anyone else miffed at the way the FOUR PAGE Telescope House advert is right in the middle of the monthly sky chart??!!?? :icon_eek:

:hello2:...

Andy M...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone recieved an issue this month yet? I still haven't got any issue at all yet. I susbscribed well over a month ago and they won't reply to my queries (except fot the auto-acknowledge.) I'm, now thinking of contacting my credit-card company to see if I can get a refund.

Shoddy service at best! A blatant con at worst.

Steve

Archived