Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Gravesend, Kent

Bob_O

Hello Everybody,

I’m new to Stargazer’s Lounge and, indeed, new to forums, so if I get it wrong, bear with me! I promise not to swear and cuss, something I’m quite good at!

Some personal notes: I’m 73 (and counting fast), married with 2 children and 3 grandchildren. I was born and grew up in north London and I’ve lived in Gravesend, Kent, since 1970. I first got into astronomy around 1950 and have maintained interest since then, with a few periods when life and other things got in the way! My first scope was cardboard tube affair, with a doublet objective bought in Broadhurst, Clarkson & Fuller around 1956 for five shillings. I made a manual slow motion equatorial mount from Meccano and the axes were made from gas barrel. The focal length was about 30cm and the eyepiece from an old pair of bins gave about 30x magnification. Crude but it worked giving me views of Jupiter and its moons, sunspots and, of course the Moon.

In 1996, after a long period of astronomical inactivity, I acquired a Vixen GP102, which has served me well until this year, when it had to go, as I could no longer handle it physically. In its stead I bought a SkyWatcher Skymax 127, with SupaTrak Auto. There have been quite a few problems, mainly caused by the awful manual. Once I’d re-written it, things began to improve and whilst there are still some remaining issues, I’m very happy with it. I wanted, or rather, I needed a scope that was easy to set up and take down and it certainly does that. I stiffened up the tripod considerably. I belong to the Mid-Kent Astronomical Society (MKAS). Last week, we held a Moonwatch event, at Chatham Maritime and the SkyWatcher acquitted itself well. Members of the public were quite gob-smacked by the views of both the Moon and Jupiter that it gave.

Well, I think that’s all I can say for my intro. I just hope that I put it where someone can read it!

Bob Oseman:icon_salut:

Archived