NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crikey... thay are big aren't they...

arad85

Very nice !.

The 31 Nagler is shorter, fatter and about twice the weight of the Ethos 13 - it's a really great eyepiece but you do have to think about scope balance and do use a really solid diagonal in your SCT and refractor !.

Also, keep it capped when not in use - the lower lens element is large, expensive and very close to the end of the chrome barrel with the 31mm Nagler - very easy to put a mark on it - especially when fitting filters.

Clear skies !,

John

Well, I've just fitted the 31mm to the Revelation dob and it balances without tightening up the clutch mechanism at all - NO counterweights needed whatsoever :icon_eek:

dobserver and dark knight (who were here to pick up an eyepiece and try the Hotech in my 'scope) were amazed that the scope was still so smooth AND balanced with the 31mm in it... It appears the Revelation Dob bearing assembly is rather good!

Well, I've just fitted the 31mm to the Revelation dob and it balances without tightening up the clutch mechanism at all - NO counterweights needed whatsoever :icon_eek:

dobserver and dark knight (who were here to pick up an eyepiece and try the Hotech in my 'scope) were amazed that the scope was still so smooth AND balanced with the 31mm in it... It appears the Revelation Dob bearing assembly is rather good!

Excellent :)

Of course the new ones have that nice tension mechanism on the altitude bearings don't they ? - I'd forgotten that.

Hope you get some clear skies to try it all out soon.

John

The 31mm sure is a beast!

It did feel really good in the scope - very well balanced even with all that extra weight in there.

My Lightbridge would never have coped with such a monster before I got the counterweight fitted - the brake system isn't much cop. It would be interesting to see if would manage the weight now.....

Have fun with your new toys - although this may be a while coming - the lovely clear skies Carl and I commented on during the drive home are steadily being replaced by some very ominous looking dark clouds coming in from the West. It's all your fault!! Nothing to do with me buying the 42mm from you, I'm sure...:icon_eek:

Steph

Hi Steph,

Pleasure to meet you both :icon_eek: The 'scope is outside now as it's still clear to the East with the fan on cooling. I'm hoping to get at least a few minutes with my new babies (or should that be beasts!).....

Fingers crossed then - I'd sure like to be able to test my new acquisition out tonight too......indeed half way through typing this message I popped out with the scope and it's now cooling. Got one eye on those black clouds, though......

I hope you get to have a go with your new EPs - and get to do that star test too :icon_eek:

Steph

Had a quick go - absolutely stunning on the moon. Imagine being able to get the full moon in a single eyepiece at 115x with the 13mm lens - it was just hoooooge :) Well pleased. It also barlows with the Celestron really well - so no need for a 6-8mm wide angle ;)

Did a quick star test and I needed to change the collimation :icon_eek: I'm guessing that's down to cooling down of the 'scope, or moving, or.... I may well wait until I see you again when it is dark and we can do a star test and collimation one after another before ordering a Hotech....

Glad you are happy with the hand grenade :icon_eek:

I had a small play with mine - I think it will be fine under a darker sky. Had a bit of an accident getting my scope back indoors - I bashed the corner of my eye on the red dot finder! Doh! Don't think I'm going to get a shiner, but it sure felt like it at the time! lol

No worries about using the Hotech again - give us a shout and we'll see what we can do.

Steph

Archived