NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography set up

Hi all,

I know this topic has been done to death, so I'll be brief... It would seem that a perfect setup is impossible to compare, as so many people get so many good images from so many different scopes, equipment.

So as my first delve into widefield and some DSO astrophotography, would a SW Equinox 80 and EQ6 Pro be ok?

I own a unmodded Canon 450d and have seen some amazing pictures using this camera.

I would just like to know if any other scope (nothing that is over a grand) would beat the Equinox, and is the 80mm really the best over say 102mm, 120mm?

I know the mount is the best I can get, and though i've looked at others, I think this is the most quietest from what I've seen, which is necessary.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

hi

the combo you are looking at is a real good performer.

you could also get the sw pro, and a moonlite focuser, that i would believe would be even better than the equinox.

the eq6 is a killer mount for the price, no one near it for the money.

i have a eq6 pro and a sw 80mm pro ds, and love both. i also have a meade 80mm triplet, that also is a good performer.

alfi

Very nice set up, but how about going for the SW 80ED pro and get a guidecam and extra finder to make a finderguider, that is if you have a laptop to run the free PHD guiding software.

Seriously consider autoguiding as soon as you get your kit sorted, it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into the SW 80 pro.

Regarding the laptop, would you happen to know what min specs would be for autoguiding? I was wondering really if a small netbook would suffice? or If i need something more powerful?

hi

for simple guiding and image capturing, a netbook should do ok.

but a larger one with more ram, bigger harddisc and faster processor would do even better, and a dvdrecorder is a plus on the bigger ones, but look for one with good battery capacity.

alfi

Regarding the laptop, would you happen to know what min specs would be for autoguiding?

I autoguide with a Pentium II 233MHz 16MB RAM laptop running Win2k(!). It also controls the remote shutter cable for the DSLR. That'll give you an idea of the minimum requirements for autoguiding. It works faultlessly :icon_eek:

I also bought an ED80 and EQ6 last year and can whole heartedly recommend it for astroimaging.

Regards

Adam

Budget for a field flattener / reducer (and a light pollution filter too if required). The field curvature will be really evident with the APS sized chip and you'll end with elongated stars around the outer 1/4 to 1/3 of your images without a flattener.

If you can wait for one to come up second hand then (for the money) you'll struggle to beat a WO ZS80 FD for colour correction and sharpness.

I have run PHD with my cheapo basic netbook when I am away from home, no hard drive and it works absolutely fine. I don't download pics to it just leave them on the cameras memory card and download them when I am at my home PC.

And what starflyer has said.

I have seen the Celestron Onyx 80EDF for £299 now thats cheap and a good scope, the focuser is a bit basic but works well.

I have two EQ6 mounts working hard down here and they do the business. Can't say the accessories are all that reliable (two failed handsets and a bad cable plus a possibly but not certainly faulty motherboard) but spares are available fast from mainstream dealers and the mounts are working up to ten hours a night quite regularly. I just keep an upgrade kit in stock and that gives me a full set of spares.

I have never had an ED 80 variant but have seen many of them pulling down amazing results. I think you have absolutely the right idea on your setup but as others have said an autoguider is a must. The PE of an EQ6 has been described as being 'from here to Tokyo' but it is very smooth and autoguides out superbly.

You could spend a lot more and do a lot less well. Have fun,

Olly

Archived