my first telescope

Hi Alicross100,

I think most bods here would agree that the 200p is a fine scope to be starting off with, but it'll come with a fairly steep learning curve (especially with a eq mount).

My advice would be to be patient and prepared not to be amazed at the view, but to to understand what you are seeing. When you first see another galaxy you'll hopefully understand what I mean. Take time to learn how the mount works and set it up correctly as they can be a pain in the backside, but when used properly they are fab.

HTH

Neon

im looking into buying my first telescope for christmas, im looking at the explorer 200p EQ5, is this a good one to but, any tips and advice would be great

1st of all that is a great scope. It's an all round thing with good aperture for observing, a good mount and leaves the possibility for imaging open.

2nd (and I really hope I don't come across sexist for saying this) Have you checked the weight? I mean I have an 8" dob, the mount is considerably lighter then the EQ5 and It's not the easiest thing to carry around due to size, a bulky shape and weight. It goes for a little over 20kg and I can only use one arm to support the weight when full mounted cause I have to secure it from rotating with my other hand.

The advice I always read out here to newcomers is to "Buy the scope that will get used the most!".

I have a 200P and EQ5 - They are exellent kit! The tube is easy to move but the mount is definately a "both arms" job! - it is more awkward than heavy - the tripod legs will only go through a door "two at a time" so you have to "rotate" to get the third leg through (You'll see what I mean if you buy one!!!).

HI from me too - I have a 200 on the HEQ5. Its a heavy old beast but I can manage it solo if I have to. A lot depends on whether your observing from your own back garden on transporting it. Mine all fits ina Toyota Aygo easy enough but it is a heavy bit of kit.

As already said you will have a steep learning curve with it - but in fairness any scope comes with a steep learning curve from scratch.

Also much depends on what you want to look at as well.

you can`t go wrong, a good all rounder, when i got my eq goto mount it was a big learning curve understanding how to use it correctly, but you soon get the hang of it, i did with hardly any help from others, if you get stuck just post on here and someone will help out, also you will always get a buyer for this equipment when, not if, you get the aperture bug and want to go bigger

I bought the Skywatcher Heritage 130p it cost me £125 inc delivery and is a great introduction to telescopes. If you like it you can upgrade in a year - 18 months. If not you have not spent loads of cash and wont end upwith a white elephant.

This scope may only have a 5inch mirror but I have seen lots of deep sky objects and have also had some great views of Jupiter and its moons.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes.

thank you everyone, will take everything you have said and see what happens, but i think it will still be the 200p, its such a sexy telescope and its calling my name, i no that looks are not everything, but it has got a really good right up and everything i need with it, so im happy, will keep looking tho jut in case

im looking into buying my first telescope for christmas, im looking at the explorer 200p EQ5, is this a good one to but, any tips and advice would be great

Excellent choice IMO, you will probably want some extra eyepieces other than the ones supplied, but they need not cost the earth.

Another point don't touch the mirrors or clean them without understanding when and how, apologies if you already knew that!

Try setting up and trying the movement of the mount/scope in the day time to get a feel of how it all works, but keep the tube closed you don't want to catch the sun in the view......although the chances of seeing the sun seem remote at the moment!.

Pete

Hi Alicross,

You won't be disappointed it's a great scope/mount combo and a really good all rounder.

As Astro_baby says there is a steep learning curve - just take it one step at a time and you'll do fine. For collimation and polar aligning check out Astro_babys guides - Astro-Baby Astronomy Website. Download Stellarium to help learn the sky and most people on here will recommend the book 'Turn Left at Orion'. Remember you can borrow it from the library for free and try before you buy. Also get a copy of Sky At Night magazine it has monthly guides of the best objects to look out for and is beginner friendly!!

Good luck and if you get stuck at any point just post on here and you'll have an answer in minutes. ;)

Cheers

Dobsonians generally go on the ground. You either stand or sit to look throught the eyepiece (which ever is more comfortable). You may even need a step UP or two if you are short and the scope is a biggie!

The smallest Dobsonians ("Starter" scopes etc 100mm or less diam) may well need to be raised on some sort of table or tripod. (Use a three legged table!! It can't wobble)

Generally Newtonians and refractors etc will come on a tripod.

Hope this helps.

with a Dobsonian type scope do you need to set up on table or something? new to this and kind of confusing. And the reflectors come on tripods?

Dobsonians are meant to sit on the ground. They are much bigger than they look in photos. They are Newtonian Reflectors with a very simple alt azimuth mount made of something like MDF with teflon bearings.

If you got a Reflector (or refractor) on an EQ mount, the mount will come with a tripod (or a pillar).

I'll second Ali's choice of the 200p. For me the 8" Newtonian on an EQ mount is the classic amateur instrument.

Hope this helps

Richard

Archived