Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Three more doubles

In my continuing quest to see how low I can go with the neximager, I used the 90 mins of clear skies I got last evening to bag three more doubles:

SAO 87301/2 [beta Cyg] 3m1, 5m1, 34.3"

SAO 27132 [eta Cas] 3m4, 7m5, 12.8"

SAO 67451 [beta Lyr] 3m5, 8m6, 45.7"

All taken on the SE6 [f10], 1/5s shutter speed, 5fps

For the Cas and Lyr stars I used 12mm of gain [i know gain is not usually measured in mm, but the slider on my version of AMCAP has no scale attached, so I am just measuring how far across I have to go with a ruler].

Don't know if this fact is related to the increasing faintness of the secondary, but out of a total of 2250 frames for each couple, Registax selected 2241 from Cyg, 459 from Cas and only 22 from Lyr. Or maybe it was just the conditions got worse.

Anyway, next clear evening I'll be looking to get into mag 9.

Thanks for your kind remarks and interest.

Currently I'm cherry-picking doubles from the list in 'Starlist 2000'. I am using them to check how faint I can go with the neximager and am trying to find pairs with one fairly bright so I can get it centred and focused properly, and one that stretches the depth to which I have previously gone and also less than 1' apart [so not asking much!]. My next targets [if an evening shoot] will hopefully include delta Equ [9.4], beta Ser [9.9], 5 Ser [10.1] & beta Aql [11.6]. Not sure where I will go from there ... have to see what that lot produces.

Archived