Got some new bino's and im seeing double

Any idea why I am seeing double? My g/f has had a look through em and she gets clear vision maybe it just me ;) Also there is something loose in them somewhere should there be something rattling around everytime they are moved? Just wanted to get a quick look at some stars while I go for a smoke and start to try learning some of the stars im looking at.

Can you post a bit more info on the make and model of the binos? I've had similar problems with two pairs in the past, and both needed some adjustment. One pair I sent back to pentax, and were returned FOC and in perfect order. The other pair I collimated myself, but they were considerable cheaper, so the risk was one that I was prepared to take.

I would suggest that if they are showing you double images, and there is something rattling inside, you may be best to try and return them, because it is possible that they received a bit of a knock at some point, and this has broken/dislodged a part inside them.

It's a bit disappointing seeing double, especially when sober, so I hope you get it sorted.

For starters let us know what make and model/size they are.

All the best

Adam

Celestron UpClose 10X50 Binoculars: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

These are the ones. Nothing fancy just something to keep me going when its cloudy in patches and im having a smoke as I would like to start learning the night sky so I can see what is where etc. The rattling did concern me and I wear contact lenses so my g/f thinks its that ;)

I wont be happy having to send them back but I dont want to have to pay to have them fixed seeing as they are brand new :(

I should return the bins ASP, its sounds as if they are faulty, any repair / replacement is the responsibility of the seller under, I believe, The Sale of Goods Act, Amazon are a big company, if you contact them about the problem they could provide you with a prepaid container to send them back in. In any case as new, they should be under manufacturers warranty for 12 months.

John.

If you are seeing double, keep looking at something close by for a few minutes and your eyesight through the bins should realign itself (your brain gets involved lol and straightens things out). Only disconcerting thing is that when you stop using the binoculars, your eyes will be out of alignment in normal vision. after about two minutes though, your eyesight fixes itself again.

If you are seeing double, keep looking at something close by for a few minutes and your eyesight through the bins should realign itself (your brain gets involved lol and straightens things out). Only disconcerting thing is that when you stop using the binoculars, your eyes will be out of alignment in normal vision. after about two minutes though, your eyesight fixes itself again.

Ouch! It isn't just your brain's visual processing that is fixing the problem, your eye muscles are realigning your eyes. It isn't good.

Here lies the problem with cheap binoculars: the collimation is rarely set properly. If it is miles out then you see double, return them for refund or replacemant. If they are slightly out then your brain and eye muscles will compensate but there is a penalty, you will probably suffer from eye-strain, headaches, maybe even nausea. If you see someone using binoculars regularly stop to rub his eyes the chances are they are slightly misaligned.

HTH

Archived