Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory plans

Keithp

Well not strickly speaking plans as such, but after looking around at many 'shed sellers' I've decided to get one of these

BillyOh Corner Shed - Wooden Sheds - Garden Buildings Direct

Thinking behind this idea is modifying it to accept either a home made dome or a prefabricated one probably giving me another 5ft in height at the centre where the scope would be setup. Got a suitable site in the garden giving me views from NE through E to South and round to West with a small arc between about N and NW. What I might do is put the panels togther against a 4" x 2" framework inside to give support, bit like timber battening in a partition wall.

Any thoughts on it? I intend to mound my EQ6 with my 250px on a pier and run electrics out to it.

Regards

Keithp

Hi Ken, how do you get on with views below the height of the walls?

I see quite a few people with the roll on/off rooves but wonder about the lowest point the scope can go over to due to the roof seeing as the scope on the mount has to start off below the roof line.

I hadn't dismissed the idea of a standard shed but I thought the dome idea would allow me to have the scope above the levels of the walls giving me a 90 degree to 0 degree elevation arc.

Regards

Keithp

Keithp - the walls of the shed you show are very tall - almost 6' at a guess, also the design you show is really a square shed with a corner cut off - maybe you would be better off with the "full square"? You will certainly have to strengthen it - sheds are held rigid by the floor and the roof - the walls are usually very flimsy.

Keithp - the walls of the shed you show are very tall - almost 6' at a guess, also the design you show is really a square shed with a corner cut off - maybe you would be better off with the "full square"? You will certainly have to strengthen it - sheds are held rigid by the floor and the roof - the walls are usually very flimsy.

Good points, hence if you look at mine on my website, I have exterior beams to hold it all together.

Wall height is a concern if you are blessed with zero degree views.

Good points raised by everyone. I think what I'll do is get the dimensions sorted for the shed, I like that shape because the three sided bit I intend pointing due South, get the base laid levelled and oversize by about a foot all round then set up the tripod on the EQ6 with the mount and scope and work out what degrees I can depress the scope to before any surrounding objects are obscuring the views.

From there I can work out whether it's better to go ahead with the dome type conversion enabling the scope to be lifted into the roof space or roll on/off roof.

Many thanks everyone for your views.

And I appreciate if I go the dome route the 'shed' bit needs re-enforcing, hence the 4 x 2 framework I intend for the interior, either way.

Regards

All

Keithp

I'll post up pictures when I start.

Hi Kieth, loads of options available. I modified a 6 x 4 shed a couple of years ago and had a hell of a job. Initially I was going to have each roof side slide off and down to lay at the side but the chipboard and felt was way too heavy. In the end I had to build a new roof using the corrigated card type material which could be lifted off easily one side at a time.

I found modifying the shed difficult because the one I bought was pretty flimsy. After christmas I will be building a roll-off from scratch. More work but it will be designed to be exactly as i want it.

If you want a dome, why not try following the guide in sky at night magazine currently?

Good luck with it, whatever you choose.:icon_eek:

Scott.

Beware having the shed base oversize! I have just built a roll off roof observatory (see blog in signature) and the "Shedmaster" instructions said to build the base only about 8 cm bigger than the walls all round. The reason is simple - when it rains the level base around the shed allows puddles to form (with the best will in the world!) and these provide a good source of water to get in under the walls!! The smaller these puddles the better - hence the warning about oversize bases. (I suspect ice could also be a problem - but it ain't been cold enough yet!)

Archived