NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First ever Jupiter (rubbish conditions)

NiteGawper

On Monday 19th Oct I finally got the time (but not really the conditions) to try and image Jupiter.

The scope was very hastily set-up, the clouds were rolling past with ever increasing menace ;)

Focusing was a nightmare and I think it was way off, which is why as soon as I get the shipping quote from JMI, there will be a MOTOFOCUS on it's way from the States!!

Using my Skywatcher 127 MAK, 2x Barlow and a Philips SPC900 webcam I took a few short .avi files and had a go at stacking one in RegiStax.

Where the clouds had sometimes blocked out Jupiter, there were sections of blank .avi which really messed up the frame alignment, so I had to edit the .avi to remove the blank sections before using in RegiStax!! :)

Anyhoo, it won't win any prizes, but it's my first Jupiter and I'm kinda happy :)

nitegawper-albums-jupiter-picture3112-jupiter-20091019-sm.jpg

Jupiter is still pretty low, the conditions were against you, and using a barlow just makes life difficult with such a long focal length scope and a webcam (I've never succeeded with a barlow on my Skymax), the exposure settings really don't like being high enough to get the brightness... But.. you've done well, the bands are visible.

I hope you don't mind but I just adjusted the levels in CS3 to brighten it up a bit.

Without knowing what you did I am guessing that it may have been under exposed with a little too much gain??

What settings and f ratio were you using?

BTW not too bad for a first try:icon_salut:

post-16237-133877405752_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for your kind replies... ;)

John, I think I will try it without the Barlow and see if I can focus better. Ta... :)

Clayton, I really should make better notes, I'll see if I can remember the settings I used, but cheers for brightening it up - I have always thought it's as much about the processing as it is about the capturing!! :)

Andy...

On Monday 19th Oct I finally got the time (but not really the conditions) to try and image Jupiter.

The scope was very hastily set-up, the clouds were rolling past with ever increasing menace :(

Focusing was a nightmare and I think it was way off, which is why as soon as I get the shipping quote from JMI, there will be a MOTOFOCUS on it's way from the States!!

Using my Skywatcher 127 MAK, 2x Barlow and a Philips SPC900 webcam I took a few short .avi files and had a go at stacking one in RegiStax.

Where the clouds had sometimes blocked out Jupiter, there were sections of blank .avi which really messed up the frame alignment, so I had to edit the .avi to remove the blank sections before using in RegiStax!! :p

Anyhoo, it won't win any prizes, but it's my first Jupiter and I'm kinda happy :D

nitegawper-albums-jupiter-picture3112-jupiter-20091019-sm.jpg

well done mate

;)

Archived