Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

modding 1000d

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So can you use a separate IR filter such as the Astronomik IR block filter or Baader UV/IR or the Astronomic CLS with IR block and still get the Ha emmisions?

If this is correct I can go ahead and order a 2" screw on IR filter.

i hope this is posable dont want to have to do this again lol

An IR filter will do more that post-processing can ever do though. There is IR signal getting to your sensor that you just don't want. Once it's registered on the pixels, you can't tell it apart from the Ha. It's like adding your own light pollution to the image, why would you ever want to do that?

I talked to Bern,

he recommends an astro IR add on filter eg a Astronomik Luminance,IR or CLS CCD type with the IR block or Baader.

The Canon CMOS sensor is quite sensitive to IR to quite long wavelengths and will tend to swamp the Red and Green of the sensor matrix.

If in doubt give Bern a call at Modernastronomy

Hope that helps

Pete

You do not need an IR filter, as George mentioned above. You do need to make sure you take calibration files for your images to reduce noise and optical effects. If you have a bit of light pollution around then a CLS filter can help (though I wouldn't really know as I don't use one). ;)

Sam

Archived