NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hmm

Cat amongst the....but my take on the LVI smart guider...

£549....cmos sensor (QHY style) and a smallish box...

For £99 I picked up an ASUS 900 Netbook, Windows XP on it, and a DSI-C...running PHD.....around £369 less.. and runs for 9 hours (10400mAH battery), with a proper UI, and a guide camera that finds a guide star every time.. and the netbook is small enough to fit in a large coat pocket (thinking of picking up a really cheap (£69) ASUS 701, running Nlite windows on it, and just using it for guiding..as I know it will work... (EQDIR for £25 solves the guide interface, or easier, just run the serial cable via he EQ6 handbox for free)

Yes, I know the LVI has fans...and it's an interesting idea, done very well..(STV to my mind was still a better idea).but...well call me old fashioned... but even the ultra portability/DSLR argument can't win this time...can it?

Discuss...

As you know, Nick, I have reviewed this device or at least the Orion version of it. It works, it does what it says on the tin and does not require any kind of PC which will appeal to many people. Personally, I'd take the PC route all day long but then I am the guy makes computer compatibility of all my 'toys' a pre-requisite and have done so for nearly 30 years!

My netbook boots in 20 seconds, is SSD based, and will take a kicking all day long (plus I can use it for a million other jobs)

It's interesting I agree, and I can see the merit in it, but it's over £500 for what a netbook and a DSI-C or QHY can do for £300 + less (in the DSI-C case)

• 3 months later...

It's the sort of device that will appeal to those who hate cables and bits everywhere. Coupled with a self contained DSLR you have a very neat, clutter free sertup. I must admit it would have appealed to me back in 2006. 300D with Canon timer remote and LVI.........no wretched laptop.

Indeed, £500 is too steep. Although the kind of thing i would have liked, no way i would pay that sort of money. Although cables are a pain, there's no getting round the fact a cheap secondhand laptop and suitable camera make more sense.

And an LVI won't image capture, blog, image process or ...well you get the idea

Indeed a notebook+cheap ccd+frees/w makes a lot of sense. As I use a dslr to image, with the LVI, I can be up and running in no time which certainly makes me more willing to get all my gear out in the first place.

Scope, mount, battery, camera and LVI are all I need.

As far as 'bang-for-buck' and added functionalities are concerned, yes, I would go the netbook route. Especially if one has an Obs.

Scope mount, battery, ASUS netbook, QHY5 = 10 hours of guided happinesss...and the £200 saved goes on the DSLR (EOS350D) via ebay..

And when my images are done, they are processed, stacked and uploaded to this forum using the self same netbook

I think as a 'one box' package however the LVI has a bit more residual / second hand value over the 'custom' setup...

Plus...some of us Apple folks dont want a windows netbook.

And... the LVI is still a more compact, lower fuss package especially IF you are using dslr and lightweight/G&G equipment.

I have owned an STV...

Great Kit, but spares a real issue, and is far from compact, comes in quite a hefty, heavy metal case and then a suitcase sized 'peli' case, loads of cables and power bits to make it run...

Sbig (yes I know they have brought out an updated version) self obsoleted it with the introduction of self guiding cameras.

Steve

Good point Steve on the Mac front, but then a sub £100 netbook doesn't have to be anything other than a guider...mine isn't and it cost £94 inc vat inc delivery..

Agree though that the s'h value may hold better.. odd that they are already coming up second and though :-)

Archived