NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M20 Triffid Nebula (Corrected ID)

qcdougn

I'm actually surprised to have anything on this target. I'd never tried to find it, let alone image it. But, I asked the LX-90 to GoTo it , and it must have...I did not recognize the star pattern on the first 20 sec. exposure. So, thought the scope was wrong. I took approx. 25 min. total exposures (80@20 sec. - ISO 1600) and thought of it as wasted time :). So, with time to kill this evening, I stacked what I had taken. I apologize for the rough looking photo...I guess I shouldn't have given up so soon.

Maybe I'll try it again....

Doug

** (6-27-06) Well gents, I'm embarrassed to say..I think I have my notes messed up on the target information...Didn't this look just a little too much like the Triffid (M20)? I think I have made a mistaken identity of this one...Oops.... :)

I gotta tell you, I'm still a little confused...What the heck did I image in Cygnus for 25 min....?????

That's the magical thing about DSLRs and GOTO. I had assumed that my GOTO wasn't working as I couldn't see anything other than stars if I told it to aim at a Messier. I was going for the galaxies as I like the look of those, not the Globs. I snapped away with the DSLR and later the image was mine! Its a great feeling rather like watching a polaroid develop, I love it.

Captain Chaos

Archived