Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The heart of the heart

glennbech

This is last night's effort, and my first serious attempt at 11 minute subs. I think I have strange looking stars in all of my images, but the stacking seems to have evened things out :-) I'll post some guiding questions in the imaging-discussions later.

This is 17x110 second exposures @ ISO 800, taken through my 200mm Newtonian with the modified canon 10D. I did 13 darks this time, that seems to have worked well. The amp glow is horrible without :-)

3905843-4022296-thumbnail.jpg

Full size and more info here

This is last night's effort, and my first serious attempt at 11 minute subs. I think I have strange looking stars in all of my images, but the stacking seems to have evened things out :-) I'll post some guiding questions in the imaging-discussions later.

This is 17x110 second exposures @ ISO 800, taken through my 200mm Newtonian with the modified canon 10D. I did 13 darks this time, that seems to have worked well. The amp glow is horrible without :-)

3905843-4022296-thumbnail.jpg

More detail & noise...

3905843-4447382-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1255594746596

thanks for the comments. While waiting for my girlfriend at the dentist; I did this quick process. I did a channel by channel noise reduction/star reduction/level adjustment i PS3.

I sometimes find this to be very effective as each channel may require different actions to get the best result. This probably messes with color balance, and the "scientific" part of imaging but... hey, anything to make it look better :-)

I also cropped it, to ehnance the more interesting part of the image. Hope you like it!

post-15053-13387740483_thumb.jpg

I love my canon £50 second hand 10D :-)

It really defines low-budget "shoestring" astro-photography for me... Wikipedia says - "The Canon EOS 10D is a discontinued 6.3-megapixel semi-professional digital SLR camera, initially announced on February 27, 2003 at a price point of US$1,999 without lens. It replaced the EOS D60, which is also a

6.3-megapixel digital SLR camera. It was succeeded by the EOS 20D in August 2004."

I bet the engeneers at Canon didn't guess that people (at lease one..) would be using it to hoover up Ha data from the night sky 6-7 years later :-)

Archived