Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW200P Dob - Next EP's???

Okay, I'm planning ahead here by starting to write my letter to Father Christmas :D

I've got a SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian which is really great. I would like to add an eyepiece (or two :)) to the supplied 10mm & 25mm. With winter approaching I would really like something that will allow me to view Pleiades in one view.

As a beginner I assume I would be looking for something around 32mm???

I'd appreciate any recommendations, ideally under £100 please?

Thanks!

If I was spending under a £100 I would consider a Skywatcher Panaview - 70 degree FOV and great eye relief. You could get either the 32mm or 38mm but check your exit pupil range. Steve could advise you further.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Skywatcher_PanaView

Mark

Yep, that would be my thinking as well - I think the 32mm would be the best choice in a 8" F/6 because the exit pupil remains sensible.

John

I bought a Skyliner 200P a couple of months ago and I'm very happy with it so far. It was a big step up from my old 130p heritage scope but I've certainly no regrets.

In terms of eyepieces, if you don't want to break the bank, why not try the Antares 32mm plossl. I got mine from Rother Valley Optics and it seems to do a great job on galaxies (seen M31, M81 & M82) and other DSOs. I also bought a Skywatcher 2x Barlow (the one with the T2 camera thread). That, combined with the 10mm eyepiece which comes with the scope, gives a magnification of 240x which is quite enough to give decent views of Jupiter.

I'll probably get a Skywatcher 8-24mm zoom next. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

I have a 38mm Sky-Watcher Panaview - its completely unsuitable for my SW200 based on spec but the views have a huge whhhhhhhooooooo factor.

It depends though - there is coma at 38mm - I never find it a huge problem as it only occurs at the very edge but some people tell me they couldnt live with it.

32mm might be more sensible though. Bear in mind they are heavy(ish) EPs so you may need a bit of weight on the back of the Dob.

Have a word with Steve at FLO -he could give you a better steer.

Archived