NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Slightly worried...

Takahashi

...that my camera's CMOS sensor might be moving towards the edge of the abyss. :D

I took this pic in near complete darkness purely as an experiment @ almost 10 minutes exposure, but discovered something potentially horrible. I've left the image at it's native res, to show the problem clearly : these random colour specks :

speckles.jpg

Is my sensor showing signs of it's age (approx. 6-ish years)? Are they some kind of "stuck" photo-cells, like the dead/jammed open pixels common on older TFT screens? Will this be a significant issue when I start some serious AP in the next few months?

Be gentle... :D

Ivor.

I agree, my 400D is much the same and these things only show their ugly heads with long exposures. Darks and bias will sort the dead pixels, flats will sort any dust bunnies or uneven illumination. :D

Matt

Yep hotpixels... I've found a tool that's supposedly able to remove them, pixelfixer. I've not had an oppo to play as yet. I did find out that Camera RAW in Adobe (Photoshop and lightroom) will automatically remove hotpixels...

It's OK Arthur, I just wanted confirmation that I was over-reacting! ...and thanks for the info guys, it's good enough to know there's a way around the problem.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Yep, it is. :) I've had absolutely no problems with the camera, bar the urge to replace the two Pentax lenses with Canon/equivalents! I've already bought a 28-90mm AF zoom, snatched for a song on Ebay, and I'm on the lookout for a [whatever]-300mm zoom, or larger fixed tele. Fact is though, I've been churning out hundreds of frames of the Moon, Pleiades, Jupiter, etc unguided through the scope, although all but the Moon have been largely experimental, getting the feel of things, exposure times, etc. Great fun. :D

Archived