Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginning imaging with a Nexstar 6SE

Having started out with some observing, I'd now like to try my hand at some simple imaging. Having read some of the advice, it sounds as if the Philips Toucam is the thing for me. However I have some questions:

1. the Toucam seems to be unavailable now. Is there a good alternative, or somewhere where they can still be obtained?
  2. I use an Apple MacBook. Is there Mac compatible software available to control the cam and for processing the images?

Sorry if these are naive questions, but I'd be grateful for any advice.

:D

i image with a Celestron 6se and a cg5-gt mount,

i have the philips 900nc webcam which came out after the toucam, it`s almost identical in all but looks, the problem is that they dont make them anymore and the reason that they are popular is that they use a ccd chip instead of a cmos chip, ccd being better, software is free from the net and fairly easy to use (REGISTAX takes a little learning) i`m not certain if it will work with a mac book, maybe someone will help here, look in the for sale section and e bay every now and again they pop up for sale usually around the £40-£70 range with an adapter to use as an eyepiece then you need a uv/ir filter which screws on to the end of the adapter so you should be up and running for less than £100

Thanks for the help so far. I'll look out for the 900nc. I've checked out REGISTAX, and unfortunately its Windows software, not Mac, so I'll need to see if there is mac compatible software.

Do I need special software to check the images on the laptop and adjust focusing, etc?

Thanks for the help so far. I'll look out for the 900nc. I've checked out REGISTAX, and unfortunately its Windows software, not Mac, so I'll need to see if there is mac compatible software.

Do I need special software to check the images on the laptop and adjust focusing, etc?

I'm just starting out at this game as well. One of the things that I've learned quickly is that the software supplied with the web cams just won't do the business.

I'm looking at using either Craterlet or QCfocus to do the capturing and Registrax to stack / tweak etc.

There's lots of good freeware around to help PC-based imagers but precious little for Mac users I fear - I hope I'm wrong and you can find some suitable software tools.

John

Thanks for the helpful advice so far. I've just realised that I can transfer the data to a desktop pc for the processing, so I can use Registrax for that, but presumably I do need some Mac software for the capturing on my MacBook. Are there any Mac users out there who can advise?

Hi I was just wondering which of the Celestron telescopes to begin astro imaging with and which camera is most compatible with it! Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!!!!!!:D

Hi Gally

It's probably best to start a new thread with this question.

I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge or experience to answer.

Archived