NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1848 The Soul Nebula

Beyond_Vision

Brilliant image Kev - but again, the dumbo question (which I'm sure you've answered already...) when I look at the stars outside the main image, I see a mix of Orange and "normal" coloured stars. Q:- Are all those orange stars really that colour or is it an artifact of all that filtering an post processing ?

Brilliant image Kev - but again, the dumbo question (which I'm sure you've answered already...) when I look at the stars outside the main image, I see a mix of Orange and "normal" coloured stars. Q:- Are all those orange stars really that colour or is it an artifact of all that filtering an post processing ?

Some of the star are yellow/golden but some are sat behind a dim layer of nebulosity and the light will be filtered by that. If you look around the outer edge of the image there is a muddy brown colour to the background. If the exposure was extended this would become more obvious as nebulosity/dust.

A good example of how much dust and nebulosity that surrounds common objects is today's APOD

Astronomy Picture of the Day

There is an unbelievable amount of dim stuff surrounding objects that people don't realise is there. It's quite common for people to image an object and for them to process the stuff out thinking it's noise or gradients.

Regards

Kevin

Great pic Kevin, the exposure time really shows. And good question Steve. If you check out SteveL's post today with heart and soul

http://www.steves-astro.com/images/ic/20090920_ic1805_ic1848_ha_large.jpg

you can see how much stuff there is in the sky between us and the stars :D

Kevins camera is a OSC, and as such, the colours that come through, especially the way Kevin processes, are pretty much true to life, as it were.

Kevin, you know what is needed now? MOSAIC!! :D

Archived