NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Images from a new setup #1

JCJC

The cloud held back all night on Saturday and I was able to get 1h 40mins on M31

I was trying out a new setup, Canon 400d with a 70-200mm EF lens at f/5.0 on the CG-5 guided with an ST80 and Phillips webcam, very pleased with the results but more exposure would help. I found this setup to guide much more effectively than with the heavy C6, I think because the balance is better.

3962971144_22e71d12a7_o.jpg

That's 25 x 4 mins, 10 x Darks, no flats or bias. Stacked in DSS and proccessed in CS3

Limited to 4 mins due to light polution so I can't wait for my new modified 350d and CLS clip filter to arrive. :o

Do I need flats with this kind of setup?

Comments and critisims welcome.

Thanks for looking........ Jordan

Lovely wide field and M31 sits very nicely indeed. It is always best to use calibration shots as you notice bright central circle which flat calibration should remove giving an even tone. Gradient exterminator (not too expensive) will take away colour gradients as I see a brown patch right side of M31 and colour gradients are common with DSLR's. Your setup seems trouble free at this scale. John.

Hello Jordan.

A very nice FOV with your setup.

You don't often see M31 this wide, and it will be a great setup for mosaics of things like Orions belt for example.

I agree with John, you do need to take flats.

There is significant vignetting, causing you to end up with the black point clipped towards the outside of the field, which looks unnatural and may be masking some interesting faint objects.

This goes for your M45 also.

Cheers

Rob

Feel free to have a go at my M45 image aswell, if you have a minute :D

Thanks..... Jordan.

I don't think there is much wrong with the M45 image once the 'red bit' is reduced,although I must admit I'm not,as a rule,a fan of pointy stars.:D

Anyhow,here is a quick job with a darkened background.

Thanks CW, are you using some kind of smoothening technique?

About the diffraction spikes, they're natural, perhaps caused by the UV filter I left on the front of the lens. Not sure if I should take his off or not?

Jordan

Archived