Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

looking to buy a new mount

astrokat

hello guys ive been getting into imaging, ive only got a alz mount now i understand i will have much easer and better results using a eq mount. im looking at a hq5 mount and there is a fue diffrent types anyone want to point or recomend a good mount.

toby

The CG-5 isn't bad up to a point but they don't respond well to being overloaded and I think the balance needs to be bang on to get good results and I don't think it would compare to an heq5 or an eq6, however I don't have any experience with these to mounts.

Another thing to add is if your setting up and brakng the kit down everytime then the CG5 is an ok weight to carry in and out of the house whereas the eq6 I'm not so sure about.

Jordan

yes the eq6 is a monster, cg5 gt is heavy enough but if price is a issue then this is cheaper, sound like a salesman don`t i, once setup and aligned it tracks well, as for balancing took me about 5 minutes to do, then i marked the bar with a bit of tape and i know where to put the weight when setting up, shouldn`t think the skywatchers are any different as all need balancing correctly, helps motors work better

hi

i have the heq5 pro synscan, and like the possibility off using it without a laptop, but if you dont mind using a laptop to control it, you can save a little, and buy a simpler one.

i have ordered the eq6 pro, for the extra capacity it gives.

alfi

hi

i took a look at the cg5 gt, and the heq5 pro is a much sturdyer mount, its more solidly built, and the weight is higher.

the mount is very important in astrophoto, so if you are going to do a bit of that, put som money into the mount.

alfi

hi

i would have gone for the goto if money isnt an isssue, i think it is a nice thing to have.

the eq6 is about 8,5kg heavier then the heq5 pro, i think. i have to breake it down to 2-3 pieces anyway to move it some distance, so each piece wont be that much heavier.

i dont find that that would be that much more, the eq6 pro will give me better capacity, and are more futureproofed.

alfi

Archived