NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Report 25/10/09 first light on 8" f5 skywatcher

oceanheadted

Picked up a 8" Skywatcher f5 Newt this week, the clouds cleared and I was ready to go out to play!:o The scope was set up on my Vixen GP mount, but I haven't got enough counterweights to balance properly, so using the GOTO is out.

This is my first foray into the reflector world, fortunately the previous owner left it pretty well collimated so no worries there. Started off with an easy target - Jupiter, it was still early so lots of boil in the atmosphere, views not much better than with a ed80.

Following my last observing session I was keen to look up M27 and M57. I consulted the sky charts, pointed the scope in the right direction for M57 and then searched around for a minute or so and up it popped. The extra aperture makes things stand out a lot more - definite green tinge to the ring.

Scoot down to Alberio next for a quick look (good images nothing wrong with this scope) and onto M27, again when I get the scope in the right place the nebula pops out. Memorable views of this DSO.

Then up to Deneb to look for ngc7000, cant find that one, maybe another night.

Resite scope because M31 is has moved to where it is visible. I can now find it within a minute, must be gettin the hang of this astro stuff. I can see lots of of the outer disc as well as the bright core. M110 and M32 stand out a lot better in this scope.

That's about it. A good evening.:):D

Interesting report and thanks for posting (us visual people have to paint pictures with words unlike those lucky lucky imagers :o )

I note your comment on M31, but did you manage to see the dust lanes ? In a scope of your size this ought to be visible from dark skies if you hide the bright core out of the FOV.

Good luck

Think I managed to glimpse the dust lanes by accident when I knocked the scope, but couldn't see them when I recentered the on galaxy, that would explain it. I'll try again when I next get an opportunity.

Still using the same eyepieces as the ED80 apart from a Moonfish 15mm which I bought 2nd hand a while ago. This was the first opportunity I had to use it and I wasn't too impressed. The others work OK, but the faster scope does show up their limitations with the lack of sharp focus across the whole field of view, still plenty of fun to be had with them though. After a nasty experience wrecking my star diagonal I'm a bit reluctant to invest in expensive eyepieces, although I will probably look out for some of those 2" skywatcher eyepieces when they start coming up 2nd hand.

Archived