Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

double stars and double clusters

iamjulian

Because of the local forecast I wasn't expecting it to be clear last night but they were wrong, so I got a bonus couple of hours observing time. After a bit of practice I can now point the scope at M31, M81/82 and M13 using the finder and be pretty much spot on when I look through the eye piece, which saves a bit of observing time. It wasn't the clearest night, but I could see M110 again so it cannot have been too bad. I spent the first half an hour showing my wife a few of the brighter deep sky objects. She seemed impressed.

Once she had had enough and went back inside, I took a closer look at the northern sky, which is easiest to view from the back garden. I managed the double cluster in Persius for the first time too and was mesmerised by it. The best view was with the barlow and the 25mm EP, so 60x magnification.

I then moved across to try to find M57 in Lyra. I was looking at the star Sheliak, Beta Lyra with its three distinctive surrounding stars, but no sign of M57. Is it really tiny? Can I expect to see it at 24x magnification or would it be too small? I gave up and moved to the double double. I pushed the scope to 166x magnification and did just about manage to split it into four stars, but I'm looking forward to trying again under better conditions.

It was quite a bit darker by now and more stars showing in Cassiopeia. I could see Andromeda again with the naked eye so I decided to have a go at M33, Tiangularum Galaxy. Found it quite easily at 24x magnification, but by the time I swapped to a higher magnification some thin cloud covered that part of the sky and I had to accept it was gone for the night. One to return to on my next outing.

Lovely report which I really enjoyed reading.

M57 is pretty small at 1.0'x 1.4' so at x24 will appear very tiny but with experience you should see it. Try upping the mag to around x100 and you should easily see it as a small smoke ring.

Yes indeed a lovely report....:o yes the Perseus double cluster had me that way the other night too ( my first time seeing it) it really is something else isn't it?....:)

M57 would be easily missed at x24 I think...think I use my 17mm to find it normally... which is about x70....I then just work my way up my magnifications.

regards craig

Thank you both for your advice. Time for an admission... I'd got muddled with the reversed view, so I was heading east from Sheliak instead of south. I have just got back in from the garden where I saw it quite easily at 24x, right the way up to 166x. With averted vision is was the quite clear smoke ring you describe. Wish my eyes were sensitive enough to see it in colour :o

I found the easiest way to locate M57 was by using 24x magnification and pointing my RDF at the halfway point on an imaginary line between Sheliak and Sulafat. Not sure if this will help you locate it quicker, but I too get confused with the directions and have found star-hopping and using imaginary lines helps me to locate objects a little more easily.

I've just been observing the Double Cluster in Perseus again - I think it is my favourite site to date. Whereas other objects such as M57, M13 and and M31 all appear as little more than grey fuzzies this one is just full of detail. We are fortunate indeed to be able to look upon such beauty.

Here's hoping these clear nights continue!

Thanks Adrian, yes the halfway point on an imaginary line between Sheliak and Sulafat was what I was how I was approaching it, unfortunately what I thought was Sulafat was in fact something else, in the wrong direction.

Sam, as it went dark the only clouds were down in your direction, but it actually clouded from the north in the end. Still a couple of hours on Friday and on Saturday nights I'm not goint to complain.

Archived