Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacement steel tripod for standard alluminium EQ5

GazOC

At last! No more shakes!

I got it from Sherwoods for £56 and I have to say it's worth every penny. No matter how light a load you put on the standard ally tripods, as soon you raise them the gap left inbetween the struts causes lateral movement and flexure. My EQ5 was even prone to this even with a small scope like my new 127mm Mak.

My 127mm f9.4 refractor was a pain to use using the ally legs even breathing near the scope caused the wobbles! The new legs let me use the refractor without excessive (though still there) vibration.

The only downside I can see is, this that when they're both fully extended, the steel tripod is about 6" lower than the ally tripod but given that the ally tripod isn't stable when fully extended anyway it's no loss really.

It's an essential buy for anyone with the "old" EQ5 mount.

These leg upgrades are great. TS over in germany offer a real nice one for £68 to fit EQ3 / 5. the steel leg thickness was very good also. What thickness did you get with the sherwoods one?.

http://www.teleskop-service.de/Selbstbau/Stativ/stative.htm

dxstativ.jpg

Rob

It's 1.5" I think, the EQ5 one has a spreader piece (like the EQ6) rather than the the accessory tray. makes a world of difference.

BTW Rob what dew shield have you got for your Mak? I can't find a Skywatcher one, will the Meade 125mm Mak ft?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived