NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Welcome from the South Coast

Hans

Hi all

I just wanted to say what a great site, full of great advice and expertise.

Well, after spending 2 weeks on a cruise in the med, gaining one on one tuition with the on board astronomer (well, no one else took advantage of him), middle of the ocean with all the lights out all I can say is I have found myself a new hobby.

Not wanting to run before I can walk I have just bought a Skywatcher 130PM (£122, brand new and never used on eBay) following a lot of research on this site. I can't wait, I think it will be an ideal starter scope for me. And if that wasn't enough I am also enrolling onto Liverpool Universitys distance learning course "Exploring the Universe" which I think will be a great way to expand my knowledge of astronomy.

I do want to ask a couple of questions of you all though;

1. As well as the new forest, does anyone have any "hotspots" they go to for dark skies in Dorset (I am thinking Purbeck coast may be good)?

2. My 9 year old daughter is fascinated by the night sky and she does wear glasses. Would you recommend that I invest in something like a set of Skywatcher LER's or similar? Any advice will be greatly received.

Many thanks, Gary

Hi Gary, welcome to SGL

Your daughter may not need to wear glasses at the eyepiece, I wear glasses and I don't have to when observing. If she can manage without she may find it easier to see the image as there will be less unwanted light getting in between eyepiece and eye.

John

Hi Gary

Welcome to SGL.

If your daughter wears glasses for short ot long sightedness then don't worry about LER eyepieces as she will adjust the focus of the telescope.

If she wears them for astigmatism then LER type eyepieces are useful as they will let her wear her glasses whilst viewing.

HTH

Cheers

Ian

Thanks to you all for making me feel so welcome. As a total novice, I'm sure I will have lots of questions that will be coming your way. I'm hoping to get my new telescope by weekend and if clear skies are forthcoming I will be out at Durlston near Swanage trying it out. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come!

Archived