Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS1000D - any experts?

OK - so I've had great fun with my Meade DSI but it's time to move onwards and upwards and I've decided to go down the DSLR route and purchased a Canon EOS1000D yesterday.

I have to say that the camera is absolutely fantastic and the quality of images is phenominal (daytime - haven't taken it near the scope yet). I think I'm probably going to have a few thousand questions for the DSLR experts on here over the next few months, but for the moment I just have a few simple queries that I'd really appreciate an answer to:-

1. The camera can be controlled remotely using the Canon software - I've tried it last night and it works great, but is there some way of setting it up so that it will keep taking 1 minute (or whatevevr length)exposures, or do I have to stay with it and click to start each new exposure?

2. What resolution? - Do I image at full resolution? - and RAW or jpg.

3. Any advice on protecting it from dew?

4. Any other useful starter tips?

As always, I really appreciate replies.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

your questions:

1. Yes it can be controllled from EOS utilities. You need to have it set on M (for manual) and the exposure set to bulb. Then click on the the little icon that looks like a little stop watch and it'll give you the exposure options and how many shots to take and how long between shots.

2. Shoot in RAW.

3. Depends on the scope, but for my reflector I have a big dew sheild and the camera has yet to dew up.

4. Focus is extremely important, you can never spend too long on focus. Also make sure the camera is flush with the focuser - rap the camera strap around the telescope so it's secure if for whatever reason it comes off the focuser.

hope that helps:)

Sam

Hi John...

I don't think you will be disappointed with the 1000D...

When your using it is it connected to a laptop? and Is it connected to a scope or are you going to be using lenses - I guess it will be a scope as tyou previously use a DSI ?

If it is then you can use the ESO utility software to capture sequences of images of any lenght with any gap between them.

If the camera isnt connected to a laptop then you can use a progammable intervalometer remote to achieve the same thing. Cheap "clone" ones area available on ebay... I use this one...

For astro use image at full resolution set the Camera to Raw + L as you can use the jpegs for a quick look at the individual frames but use the Raws fro the actual processing using something like DeepSkyStacker avaialble for free from here...

Get another Battery for it - pay the extra and buy a canon original from a camera store as some of the clones arent waht they claim to be... the canon original is capable of holdign the shutter open for up to 2 1/2 hours worth of exposures and only takes 2 hours to charge so 2 batteries will keep you going all night...

When connecting to a scope (which scope are you using?) if possible use 2" adaptors or better still t-threaded components as you want the widest possible "aperture" in connceting parts to reduce vignetting...

Dew I wouldnt be to worried about it to be honest - if its the camera body your talking about ...

Tell me more about how you plan to se the camera and I can hopefully answer any questiosn you may have....

It may be later today as i need more sleep.... just got up for a drink of water and saw your post...

Peter...

T

I would highly recommend one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Timer-Remote-shutter-for-Canon-450D-400D-350D-TC-60E3_W0QQitemZ110407169066QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item19b4c7b42a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Cheap very easy to use and a lot cheaper than a canon one! set the 1000D to BULB, set your ISO number and full RAW (BTW I use RAW+jpg so I can quickly discard any subs I dont like), dial up number of shots, duration etc on the timer, away you go.

Dewing can occur after shutdown, the camera working keeps it dry but after just be careful.

For focusing I use homemade bahtinov masks, select a reasonbly bright star, use live view at 10x, focus using the mask - spot on every time!

Pete

Peter beat me to it!!

don't avoid all none canon batteries. :)

Some are higher spec for at least a 1/3 of the price.

I'm surfing on my phone so for now the dedicated canon 1000-500D forums @ Www.Dpreview .com will have details on the 'good' clones.

I've used them for several years in my 350&450D cameras.

Which battery is in the 1000D?

LPE-5...

I have been caught a couple of times... Hamma ones are ok when bought from a Reputable source.. like most things in life if the price is too good to be true then the chances are you have been ripped off...

I only by cheap clones to use the cases and pcb's to make power adaptors... and when you open them up the supposed 1200mAH batteries turn out to be 700mAH cells padded out with bits of carboard shipping boxes to stop them rattling around in the case......

Peter....

Good choice! Look forward to seeing your first images.

There are tons of people here who can help with every aspect, just be sure to keep asking questions :)

I would recommend using a Bahtinov mask for focussing. Essential bit of kit to me.

Avoiding cheap clones is good general advice, but posters in Canon EOS 1000D / 500D - 300D Forum have found these sources to be reputable:- http://www.diamondbackbatt.com/canonequivalentlp-e5battery.aspx

http://sterlingtek.com/calpbapafore.html

My 350D batteries came from Sterlingtek, I can't remember if my 450D's lp-e5 came from diamondback?

Both types out performed my canon equivalents.

i`m watching this tread with interest, i too am looking to buy a canon 1000d, but am unsure about which scope to use it with,

i have two already, Skywatcher 130p f5 focal lenth 650mm, and a Celestron 6se f10 focal lenth 1500mm, i understand i`ll need to use a focal reducer on the Celestron to make it faster and reduce lenth, but my question is are any of these scopes suitable for deep sky photography ? was also thinking about an 8" or 10" newt f5 or a small Celestron or Skywatcher 80ed refractor suitable for wide images, which one do you think best for the job.

many thanks Rob

To be honest I cant answer the question weather your scopes are fine or not.

But I will say that an 8" Newt is a great combo with a DSLR, you get a really nice FOV with a lot of targets. But be aware you may need extras too, for example an MPCC to fix the coma at the edge of the field. You will also need something similar for the refractor to flatten the field.

Have you looked at this software? It shows the FOV with any camera/scope combo, which is very helpful in deciding your set up:

The New CCD Astronomy Home Page

Just be sure to download the extra images too.

Thanks for all the replies so far:-

To clarify, the camera is to be used with my scopes - Celestron C8-NGT newtonian, and Skywatcher startravel 80. I have a T ring and T adaptor on order from FLO which will hopefully arrive about Tuesday.

I'm aware that I will need a few further items - in particular a MPCC which I gather is almost certainly needed for my scope with this camera. I need to make a new Bahtinov mask - made one for my previous scope and it certainly helped.

I've now seen the little clock watch icon thanks - that will make the process easier than I thought (not that it's an easy process) and comments about a spare battery noted.

Pete - how did you make your homemade Bahtinov? - last time I made one from card and painted it black which seemed to work OK.

Peter - thanks for the detailed response - some very useful advice there

Aza - yes I use CCD calc - very useful program - saves so much time and I know before I go outside, what setup I need for a particular target. BTW - incase anyone reading this thread doesn't know, there's a link on the CCDcalc website for downloading addition target images - the original install doesn't include M51 to name but one, and the add on pack does.

Dewing - of course I was forgetting the camera will generate heat so I agree this shouldn't be a problem.

Can't wait to get started with it - wish that T adaptor was here!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Clear here in Chester too at the moment - how frustrating - can't try the new camera out for the sake of the T ring and adaptor.

Never mind - one last time with the Meade DSI I think before it gets relegated to a guide camera.

Thanks for all the replies so far:-

Pete - how did you make your homemade Bahtinov? - last time I made one from card and painted it black which seemed to work OK.

Exactly the same way except mine is a nice light blue colour so I can see it more readily in the dark! I also taped a ring of camping mat to act as a support to stop it sliding off the ota.

BTW if you use a dimmer star for focusing I found that instead of 3 lines you get a longish blob and adjusting the focus get it to look like 3 overlapping circles, that is then in focus, you will see what I mean if you give it a try on a dimmer star.

Pete

Clear here in Chester too at the moment - how frustrating - can't try the new camera out for the sake of the T ring and adaptor.

Never mind - one last time with the Meade DSI I think before it gets relegated to a guide camera.

The DSI will make a mighty fine guide cam ... You won't have any problems finding guide stars with that at all :)

Peter...

Thanks Pete - a nice project for a rainly night.

I also need to sort out some new dew heaters - built a dew heater controller earlier this year and heater for my previous scope (Nexstar 6Se) - it mainly seems to be the finder scope and secondayr that need it.

Sounds a good set up Peter. I've got my two scopes both mounted now so I will be entering the world of guiding at some time this winter - one step at a time though - still getting used to the new scope and mount, and now of course, the new camera, so I think I'll stick with unguided on the brighter objects for now and see how it goes. Things have moved on so quickly this year and I need to just get used to the equipment I've got now -

It's only 18 months ago I didn't even own a scope and was snapping at the moon with my Fuji S8000FD - that's what started it all off!!

Each time I buy a new piece of equipment my wife says - "is that it now" - I haven't the heart to tell her that there's umpteen other things I still need, and no doubt at some point I'll start hankering after another scope or something - haha. - How much does Jodrell Bank cost? - :)

Thanks Peter,

Well so much for waiting to autoguide - my good friend who's much further on in this than me came round tonight to help me get started with the DSLR - he also brought his autoguiding kit so we could have a go with that - unfortunately we had problems with the autoguiding which he is going to look in to and if necessary, post about - no point me doing it as it's beyond my comprehension at the moment.

As for the camera - wow - not only did it prove extremely easy to use - it could have been designed specially for this, but hopefully I will have some results to show for it - obviously we wasted a lot of imaging time trying to sort out the autoguiding, but I did manage to get a few usable unguided subs which I'm processing at the moment. If they're any good I'll post the result (M33).

On the subject of power, one thing I have for my 1000d that's proved very handy is a power adapter from astronomiser that lets you plug it directly into a cigar style socket. So at home I have it plugged into the bench power supply and away I can hook it into a power tank or leisure battery.

Astronomiser Canon Power Supplies

Obviously it's not official canon kit but it is a lot cheaper. It's nice to be able to set up the camera and know it's keep going as long as you need it to.

Archived