NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A cracking session

TheThing

Seeing as it was clear out, I decided to nip out to test some new EPs while SWMBO watched her programme.

I've bought a few new bits recently, due to a recent birthday, including a 12.5mm ortho, 6mm WO SPL, a 5mm planetary EP and a Seben LP filter. This was my chance to try them out. There is some 'almost' duplication here (there's not a great deal between the 6 & 5mm), but what the heck! They're cracking EPs!

First stop was Albrieo. Took a little while to track down as my skies aren't the darkest, but what a lovely sight when I got there. A lovely golden star, coupled with its beautiful blue companion. A double that I can never tire of looking at.

Now, I'm more of a planetary observer, rather than one for DSOs (apart from the more obvious like M42!), but while I was in the area, I thought I'd have a go at M27, The Dumbbell Nedula. A bit of scanning around finally got me a faint smokey grey smudge. Chance to try the LP filter.

Now, the LP filter had come to me as untried and untested. Seben don't have a great track record with 'scopes, but I have heard that their EPs are pretty good. The filter was a bit of a gamble, but only a tenner.

I popped it into the 30mm Vixen and BAM! M27 leapt out at me! Well, not quite, but it was easier to see and much clearer with averted vision. I tried the 6mm on it (ok, it's a planetary EP, but I can experiment). Turned out to be a good choice. Even without the LP filter, the 6mm really made the background sky black, so M27 stood out that much better. Same with the 5mm. Best view however, was the 12.5mm ortho with the LP in it. First time of seeing M27. Just exquisite!

Finally, off to Jupiter - the real test for the planetary EPs. Both performed really well, giving excellent detail of the bands. Both have wide enough FOV to fit all four moons in as well. Some of the best views I've ever had.

Popped the LP filter back in, as another experiment. Turned out to be the best decision of the evening. It really brought the bands out more clearly than I have ever seen them before. With averted vision, there was a hint of the next bands up towards each of the poles. I stood and drank it all in, mouth open, for some considerable time. No sign of the GRS (or Great Salmon Pink Spot, as it has become) however, but I'll keep looking to find it. All in good time.

It was just a quick session, but one of my best ever. The right equipment is beginning to pay off.

All in All, a satisfactory nights Observation for you, and a vindication of you purchases. You must be happy, and with a bit of hope, the next few nights will afford you more opportunities to put the newbies through their paces.:)

Enjoy the views.

Ron.:)

Archived