NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bizarre problem with CG-5 ALT adjust

Got the kit out last night as it was clear, only to be faced by another strange problem, this time with the CG-5 ALT adjust bolt.

The rear one has always been a bit tight, but last night was just bizarre. With the front bolt unscrewed, the rear bolt would only turn half a turn in each direction. In BOTH directions, it tilted the axis UP in quite a large jump (about 10deg or so). When the direction was reversed, the axis would drop down again and then bump back UP suddenly. The bolt could not be screwed in or out any further than half a turn. It also wouldn't tighten the axis, even with the front bolt wound in. With just one nudge on the rear bolt, it would spin around half a turn and drop the axis again. It's almost like there's only 2 positions now, up or down!

I will strip it down when I get chance, but if anyone has any suggestions in the mean time, please let me know as it is (yet another) very bizarre occurance!

Thanks Gaz, I think that would do it if it has somehow bent under the bit it's meant to push on. I'll find out when I take it apart next time it's cloudy.

Typical that this happens when several clear nights are expected, I've managed to wedge it in place for now, but it's not ideal.

sorry, forgot to post an update. I dismantled the ALT axis and sure enough, the bolt was like a banana....and about as solid as one too!

A few gentle taps with a hammer bent it back, it is that soft. It really needs replacing.

The problem is that at 52deg, it's quite extended into the mount and the cast lug it pushes on, sort of slopes away from the end of the bolt (difficult to explain), so it's easy for the end of the bolt to start to slip under the lug. In fact I could feel it going again, just by tightening the other bolt I think it was starting to bend again.

Are there any direct replacements for the bolts?

Thanks

sorry, forgot to post an update. I dismantled the ALT axis and sure enough, the bolt was like a banana....and about as solid as one too!

A few gentle taps with a hammer bent it back, it is that soft. It really needs replacing.

The problem is that at 52deg, it's quite extended into the mount and the cast lug it pushes on, sort of slopes away from the end of the bolt (difficult to explain), so it's easy for the end of the bolt to start to slip under the lug. In fact I could feel it going again, just by tightening the other bolt I think it was starting to bend again.

Are there any direct replacements for the bolts?

Thanks

Here you go.... astrodevelopments click the Synta tag and scroll down. Bit pricey for a couple of bolts mind....but them I am Scots!

Allan

Allan

I had the same problem but it messed up the thread inside as well ,think I got a bit to brutal with it (brute force and ignorance).

I just got a couple of new bolts with T ends and re-tapped the hole. I don't think I paid much for them although I can't remember where they came from, nowhere special.

Pip

Wow, didnt realise prices were just for one bolt, I thought it was expensive at £16.99 for both!!!!

Not sure which ones would fit yours, best to email or ring I suppose.

I would be tempted to find a couple of long bolts the right size and use a spanner, your not going to be adjusting them that often. Take one of your bolts out and go to an ironmongers and measure for the right size. You could save £30!

Allan

I just replaced mine, 2 x B&Q M10 80mm bolts ( one cut down to 70mm). Ground the last few threads off and rounded the end, then drilled the bolt head and put a pin thru and hammered each end flat so it couldnt slide out. Spanner not required. £2 all in

Perfick!

Allan

Archived