Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Intermediate with a £330 limit

Steve and Jahmanson,

What would you advice to the choice between Celestron Nexstar 5 SE and Skywatcher Maksutov 127 you have provided link to?

My friend still mulling over as to which one is better. Even though the price difference is substantial. what would you advice to buy with a budget of £700? save some money and go for Skywatcher Maksutov 127 or choose brand and quality of celestron Nexstar ?

Many Thanks

Celestron and Skywatcher are part of the same company now - Synta !. I like the C5's (I've owned a couple) but the quality is about the same as the Skywatcher. The Skywatcher is marginally better on planetary contrast due to the smaller sized secondary obstruction.

Here is a link to a review of the 2 scopes (well the optical tubes anyway). Not much to pick between them according to this reviewer:

Orion 127 Mak Cass Vs. Celestron C5 SCT - Shootout

Note: the Orion Mak Cass is the same as the Skywatcher 127 Mak.

If I had £700 to spend I'd be looking for a larger scope TBH - probably used - you can get a 12" dobsonian (new) or an nice, used, 8" schmidt-cassegrain for that money.

John

How??

Dave,

I'm so sorry mate - I got confused and replied to resonator77's supplementary question in which a budget of £700 was mentioned !.

In response to your original post, I agree with Steve's suggestion - the Skywatcher 127 GOTO is a very good choice for the budget you mentioned.

Regards :D

John

I've just got hold of a Meade 5" refractor optical tube without the mount - it's a big, long beast !. I've only had 1 night using it so far and was pretty impressed. It's not really an all-rounder though - great for planets, double stars, lunar etc though.

I was specifically looking for a largish, longish achro refractor and there are not too many to choose from.

I've not used an LXD55 mount so I'll let others comment on that.

John

I just found out my powertank power cord is missing. Although I bought it brand new:(

Hi resonator77 :(

Can I suggest that you start some new threads on the topics you would like some help on ? - they are good questions and I'm sure you will get more responses that way and it will help keep this thread on DAVPPK's original topic of how best to spend his budget (we all love spending other peoples money, don't we :D).

Thanks a lot :)

John

Hi resonator77 :(

Can I suggest that you start some new threads on the topics you would like some help on ? - they are good questions and I'm sure you will get more responses that way and it will help keep this thread on DAVPPK's original topic of how best to spend his budget (we all love spending other peoples money, don't we :D).

Thanks a lot :)

John

Of course Jahmanson,

back to spending money people:p

Archived