NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing in the Western Isles?

Darren B

Which of the Western Isles are you visiting (there are quite a few of them !).

I was on the Isle of Tiree a couple of years ago ( in late August) helping train the volunteer firefighting unit and the night sky views were breathtaking, without a doubt the darkest skies Ive seen in the UK .

Most of the Islands should have good dark skies , but obviously some of the Islands do have centres of population which will have local light pollution effects, but nothing on a grand scale.

Hi, I will be on the Isle of Harris visiting my parents. They live near a small village so light polution should not be a problem and I'll look up the Astro Society in Stornaway. I know the weather can be iffy up there, but if I can get one or two nights of viewing I'll be happy.

The skies are very dark at the moment.....

It is due to the thickness of perma-cloud overlying the whole NW of Scotland at present....

Tiree does have it clear, but the wind never stops!!! If it did the locals would fall over..

Midges are on the way now, not too bad this year due to a harsh winter and dry spring... the horseflies were horrible though,...

Steve

This has to be the worst summer for clear skies in Scotland that I can ever remember.:(

I havent managed one clear nights observing since about May, the couple of clear nights we had I was Nightshift , although I did have a few hours of clear sky for the Perseids.

As you say Steve, the Midges havent really been too noticeable, they must find it hard to fly in a monsoon. The good old Clegs (Horseflies) have been around in greater numbers right enough , I hate those things :D:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Not much to report I'm afraid. Weather not co-operating at the moment. Yesterday morming manage to view Venus and the crescent moon close together. Last night started clear and saw Jupiter, but as scoon as I got the telescope out it clouded over. What clear patches there were, were hazy, just made out the Ring Nebula and the Andromdea Galaxy. This morning M42 was just about showing, I could see the stars in M45 but no nebulousy. I can see the potential of viewing up here, I'm hoping the skies to clear. The problem up here at the moment is the lack of wind blowing the mist and midges away.

Cheers

Darren

Archived