Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope upgrade.

Hi everyone, I have had a Meade 4.5 reflector with goto for about 7 years now but am craving to see galaxies in more detail (cant really see anything through this scope) and perhaps some better planetary detail too. I therefore need to upgrade and am open to suggestions. The scope would need to be portable to a certain extent (in and out of house poss field trips). Budget upto £500. Goto capability not priority I qiute like fumbling around the sky.

Thanks everyone.

I agree with the other posters - you should be looking for 10" of aperture as a minimum, 12" preferrably and that means a dobsonian with your budget. With the aperture will come better planetary detail as well.

A 12" dob is portable / luggable although not quite in the "grab and go" sense of course !.

John

Nicely put olly hahaha. So are we talking Meade Lightbridges then? or are there others with good feedback?

I have a Lightbridge 12" which I'm very pleased with but the Skywatcher 300P and 300 Flextube's are also well regarded. I reckon the Revelation 12" that Telescope House are selling is well worth consideration as well.

Optically I don't think there is a great deal between the above scopes but they have other features that may well sway your decision so do some research and try and see some for real - they are BIG scopes !.

John

Gotta agree - for £500 you could buy a serious 2nd hand scope 10" / 12" or who knows what. Of course, you might need to allow yourself another £100 on top for all the "stuff" like medium quality EP's etc but still., your view of the universe will make you feel like you've just hit warp drive !

mmmm some good points. With the little time I have had surfing the net the Skywatcher 10" flextube model £480ish looks good and also the lightbridge 10" (but pricey). From what I gather the optics would be similar but obviously the skywatcher is cheaper and the flextube system I like better.

What extra 'stuff' would you recommend to maximise my warp drive if I got either of these scopes?

Another voice in the chorus. Few questions are as easy to answer as this one! 12 inch Dob. Go on! 12 inch, don't mess about!!

Olly

Yup, 12 inch Dob. Only way to go to see galaxies is 12 inch and above. :D

If you have a budget of £500, you could look at the Revelation (it's heavy but carry-able in and out of the house) at £669; I know that is over the budget, but it is - as far as I know - the cheapest 12 inch Dob on the market.

Another consideration would be the second hand market - I am sure there are bargains to be picked up out there.

Archived