NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sighting scope - using a gun sight?

Hi

Not over impressed by my sighting scope; has anybody tried using a gun telescopic sight?

You can get illuminated ones too and they seem a third the price of a 'proper' sighting scope.

Been looking at 3-9x 50mm, I assume wider field would be useful?

Just wondering if it is worth it or just keep the supplied 5x 24?

Whatever works? I think many of the commercial Red Dot Finders have supposed roots in "military applications"? And, notably, the EXCELLENT (though expensive) Baader Skysurfer V, which I love! :(

But, after a lot of "messing about", with the DEFAULT offerings that come with e.g. Skywatcher scopes, I felt the investment worthwhile. In the main, the problem (under UK skies!) is that the front, reflective element, of RDFs, can loose a couple of magnitudes, limiting sighting to brighter stars only! This latter fault is corrected in the Baader, which has CLEAR optics. :D

Despite such innovation, many people will still attest to the need for BOTH a Red Dot Finder and an "active" 6x30, 9x50 RACI etc. finder (on the same scope!), for directly seeking out FAINTER objects, once the general region is located with the RDF... :)

Agrree with Macavity and I have a Baader Sky-Surfer V as well - its brilliant. The next step up for me is an Antares 8x50 finder with RACA and also illumination for finding stuff like comets.

I would have to agree with you, The Baader Sky Surfer V is the Biz & well constructed, a Quality RDF. I used to have one with my 200P, im wandering what would it look like on a WO 66SD.:D

I used to have one with my 200P, im wandering what would it look like on a WO 66SD

Would be almost as big as the scope :D

A few people at SSP had a look at my Sky-Surf in actyion and liked it - the fact that the elemts are clear glass is brilliant and also the see through dust caps are a great idea as well.

I'm sure a rifle scope would work fine but top quality ones aren't cheap. I was in a field sports shop the other day (I'm a fisherman) and noticed a top-of-the-range model on sale for around £700.

I use the 50mm finder that came with my scope and it's fine for my needs. I used to use a 30mm finder with my previous scope and that was fine too. Tried mounting an 80mm refractor but found it was over-kill.

Most important things are a decent star map and a dark enough sky (so you can actually see enough stars through the finder). I found 30mm sufficient from my dark site but in my light-polluted back garden it was no use. Your 5x24 sounds too small and I think you should be looking to 50mm instead.

So on the face of it a 3-9x50 gun sight would do, though personally I don't see any need for variable magnification, and in any case at lower mag the circle of light at the eyepiece - exit pupil - would be larger than your dilated pupil: at x3 the exit pupil is 17mm when your own pupil would be no more than 7mm. It would be difficult or impossible to hold the image - you might see no stars at all. Also I believe that on low-end variable magnification gun sights you tend to get image-shift when you change magnification, which defeats the whole purpose.

So my advice would be to go for a standard 7x50 finder.

An illuminated reticle is fine for bright objects but will make it harder to see faint ones. I have a Meade illuminated reticle eyepiece that I got in order to measure sizes of galaxies, but even at the lowest setting it's too bright for that. I have no trouble seeing the unlit cross-hairs on my finder.

By all means take a chance on it but you should be able to pick up a tried and trusted 50mm finder for the same sort of price.

Archived