Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 Skyscan first light....

GazOC

Well I was going to leave it until to Autumn and the longer nights to get stuck into my new kit but I got itchy fingers last night.

The kit I got was secondhand from Russ and consisted of a EQ6, the Skyscan upgrade, a powertank and various printed manuals from the 'Net (cheers for the paperwork Russ, it saved me a lot of messing about :D)

I stuck with the one and two star alignments for the first night, I seemed to get better results with the 2 star (probably my dodgy polar aligning :D). It's some sight to see a 10" Newt move almost silently (did I mention the motors wouldn't wake the home fans at a Man Utd game? They are really quite, even at x900) to where you've just asked. I didn't task the GOTO too much, all the DSOs I asked for were within the FOV of a 32mm EP which is fine by me. The motors are a lot better (smoother) than the stock EQ6 motors, no judders even at the highest powers.

The handset is easy to use, it doesn't feel as solid as the Meade Autostars or have as many features but its very easy to get out of "trouble" in sub menus which is a big thing for me. :D

One downside is that the fully charged powertank gave up after 90 minutes, this thing is a hungry [removed word]!! I'll have to get another to swap with while the other is charging for those winter all nighters.

All in all I couldn't have asked for more. Even new, a GOTO mount, with PEC and autoguiding that will take a 10" Newt or a 12 SCT without even blinking has got to be a good deal at £1000 IMHO.

Hi Gaz,

Oh boy that makes me feel sick reading that. There's only two pieces of kit i've really missed....one my Intes 603 and the other the EQ6 Skyscan. That Skyscan kit is worth every penny, the motors/gears are superb, just as you describe. And now having used the alternatives from Meade and Celestron, I can really appreciate just how good the HEQ5/EQ6 Skyscans are.

It's a great mount, hope you enjoy it Gaz :D

Russ

Hello Gaz,

That sounds the Dog's Danglies mate :D as with everything off Russ i know it will be Mint too, just wait till those winter nights and slewing at goto speed's at DSO's awsome! The handset sounds great too as imho te meade one is over complicated(And prone to crashing i found) can it be updated via firmware?

Nice Review/Report.

James

Cheers Russ, James

I know what you mean about the Meade JD, I never quite got to grips with that myself. Loads of features that I couldn't remember how to access (my fault, not the handsets I hasten to add!). The Skyscan has "hot-keys" to take you straight to the Messier, Solar System, NGC lists at one key press. The the menu "tree" doesn't seem as rigid as the Autostar, it easy to hop across menus.

I'm not sure if the handset is upgradeable at the moment, I think a new handset is coming out in the New Year that is (it was supposed to be coming in July but got delayed). Hopefully it's come with the Sync function. The only other issues I've read about the system is that the double star catalouge is a but flakey, but if you know the RA and Dec of the stars you've got a workaround.

Gaz

Gaz,

No Synch button seems a strange one that could of swore i seen one whilst having a play with Skyscan at Stockport Binocular Centre mind is was a bit worse for wear that morning :). Yes i heard the same about the Double Star Cat being lets say lacking but input ya Ra etc and jobs a good un :).

The most appealing feature for me would be the PEC and Autoguiding ports awsome for DSO imaging that Gaz, maybe get ya DSI going on some DSO's when it's darker nights?

James :)

The most appealing feature for me would be the PEC and Autoguiding ports awsome for DSO imaging that Gaz, maybe get ya DSI going on some DSO's when it's darker nights?

James :)

Thats the plan mate, I'm going to start off nice and steady with the 150mm f5 and a focal reducer. Even I should be able to get some results at that focal length with this mount!! :)

You could use ya Dsi to Autoguide i think? And then image with another camera..

James

I'm trying to talk myself out of that idea James.....££££. I've been looking at those MXC 5s..... :nono: :nono: :nono:

Maybe modding my Toucam will be the best bet for now, the problem is I need the camera to be USB only. I couldn't get the USB/parallel converter to work last time I triad it.

[glow=red,2,300]I'm trying to talk myself out of that idea James.....££££. I've been looking at those MXC 5s.....[/glow] nono nono nono

Maybe modding my Toucam will be the best bet for now, the problem is I need the camera to be USB only. I couldn't get the USB/parallel converter to work last time I triad it.

Hehehee give it time give it time :) be cheaper get ya Toucam Modded or get a cheapy LPI for 40 squid guide using that and image with ya DSI camera :). Can't speak for the Mxc 5s but i think Jamie has one or had one?

James(Gaz's Bank manager not) :) :)

I've just been doing a little research on CCDs (just to pass the time you understand :)), I think my heads about to fall off, it's a complicated business!!!

BTW Russ, did you notice that the polarity on the Skyscan is reversed to the polarity on the "normal" EQ6? My leads don't work on it and cause a spark, luckily I got them out of there sharpish.

Archived