NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonless Jupiter

The Warthog

I have just come in from watching the last of Jupiter's moons disappear in front of the disk. I made some crude sketches, which I'll share with you later. It occurs to me that this is what the hobby is all about, spending time watching something happen so far away that it takes 40 minutes for the light from the event to get here.

Jupiter looked a bit lonely to me. I agree, there's nothing like watching events unfold right before your eyes... brings things to life, as it were. We've been having the same incredibly beautiful skies here in Wisconsin. The scopes have been set up out at the Starpad since Sunday night, and it looks like i'll be able to leave them there through the weekend. Almost makes up for the cloudy summer. :D

I went out again tonight, and was successful in seeing Io`s shadow on the face of Jupiter. It wasn`t the black ink spot I had been hoping for, but a dark blip that appeared and disappeared according to the seeing, but definitely moved as it was supposed to move.

Saw it here too, WH. :D When the seeing's steadier it really is a noticable black dot. Thought i detected Io too, there was a very light grey dust spot just ahead of the shadow. I guesstimated the space between the two to be a bit less than the space between Europa and Ganymede. Just fired up the Sky Tools program and confirmed it was indeed Io.

Archived