Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Purchasing A Lunar Filter - How Hard Can It Be...?!

TakMan

Answer: harder and more annoying than I thought....

After finding that a 2" Orion branded filter thread would not fit into my True Tech manual filter wheel (due to the thickness of the mount catching on the closing foam of the wheel), I decided to purchase a Lumicon one (like my UHC/OIII) as I knew that they were of a lower profile.....

Ted (my usual contact), at Telescope House explained that it could take months for them to get one due to the frequency of T.H. placing quarterly bulk orders, so...

After investigating the Lumicon website I found that Rother Valley Optics were a distributer for them (recognised the name/plenty of adverts in the astro press), so a 'phone call quickly followed....

The gentleman I spoke to explained that they did not have any Lumicon 2" 25% ND filters in stock, but the Antares version was low profile and 'as good as'. I asked specifically to make sure that this was not just a 'Made in China' item and was assured that "No", "Made in Canada"...... I thought like my Kendrick dew controller (wrong!), so i placed the order.....

Ohh, happy days....!

The item arrived the following day (good so far), but on opening it's plastic case found dirt (or finger marks) on one of the surfaces and (low and behold), printed down the side of the mount 'Made in China'......!!!!*****????

So after a terse 'phone call on Saturday back to R.V.O this item is packed back up ready to go tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to find out if R.V.O will try and charge me their 10% handling fee on returns (if so I'll be on the 'phone trying to ascertain if the filter was second hand-and threatening a call to Trading Standards), and I shall be adding 'Antares' and 'R.V.O.' to my personal radar of brands and companies who I shall NOT be dealing with in the future.....

As for the Lumicon filter, I've asked an Uncle over in the States to get me one (something I should have done in the first place!)

And there ends the lesson for today!!!!:)

Damian

Answer: harder and more annoying than I thought....

assured that "No", "Made in Canada"...... I thought like my Kendrick dew controller (wrong!), so i placed the order.....

Ohh, happy days....!

As for the Lumicon filter, I've asked an Uncle over in the States to get me one (something I should have done in the first place!)

And there ends the lesson for today!!!!:)

Damian

Hello Damian,

Antares stuff often is made in Canada, you maybe got unlucky on that one.... as for RVO, they are supplied by TH, so if not in stock there on an item it is unlikely to be in stock in rotherham...

As for your uncle...

can he get me an iphone at 199 dollars rather than the rip-off price they are here???:grin:

tripod on the way tomorrow BTW... no bank hol. here for schools and business, but the PO are taking it off....

Steve

Having dealt with RVO for a few years and received the best possible service every time, I would give them the benefit of the doubt on this and put it down to an honest mistake. If a new batch came through they may not have realised that this lot were made in China.

Based on my experience with them and the way they treat their customers you don't have to worry about a full refund. I'd be surprised if they don't apologise to you for the mistake as well.

John

Archived