NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M8 and M20 from Weymouth

Phil Fargaze

I was on holiday near Weymouth and I was observing from the edge of Portland Harbour with my 10x50 bins. The sky darkness was good, with the Milky Way on view. The low horizon had me looking at Saggitarius, a part of the sky I havn`t really been able to see before. A quick sweep had me gasping at the wealth of detail, and I was aware that I was gazing right into the galactic centre. Two patches of nebulosity stood out both with the bins and naked eye, which I later identified as being M8 the Lagoon Nebula and M20 the Trifid Nebula. It was wonderful night, I had bagged two new objects and I went on to spot the Coat Hanger cluster, M31, M92, M13, M39 and a shot at Neptune.

Glad you've been enjoying it Phil,

I live almost on the edge of Portland harbour, and the skies are why I built my observatory there :)

I'm away at the moment, but will probably be home on Tuesday if you want to drop around. Just send me a PM.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for the offer Rob but I am now back home on the edge of murky London. You must get some amazing views with the scope. You might know of Sandsfoot Castle, which was where I was observing from, laying on my back on the grass in the gardens, giving the odd dog walker a fright!

Archived