NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Producing a monthly sky calendar/guide

Hi guys, I recently (perhaps foolishly!) volunteered to write our Astro Soc's monthly newsletter. I thought it would be useful to include a monthly guide to what's happening in the sky. I don't want to get into all the hassle of printing an annotated planisphere like Astronomy Now or S@N mag, but I thought it would be useful to have a prose list of key events, for example "1st September - Mars in conjunction with M35" "2nd September Peak of Delta Aquarid meteorite shower", plus moon phases etc.

Am I right in thinking this is something that can be done by Skymap Pro? Alternatively, I seem to remember a website that does this buy I can't for the life of me remember which one.

I would be most grateful for any help!

D

Mank thanks Pete, I just found Dave Mitsky's celestial calendar for August and it's just the ticket (well, it's pretty complicated but could form the basis of a simplified version). However, he only produces it on the last day of the previous month and I wanted this sorted by Friday. I suppose, if push came to shove I could wait till Monday.

Many thanks for your help.

Mark, that is brilliant piece of work, :) but a fair bit longer than what I was aiming for. We are a society of about 12 paying members, and average turn out is 6-8 so I was thinking in terms of a side or two of A4.

Dave (Eagleseye) - I think what you have produced is fairly close to what I was thinking about. If you are OK with me using your September version for Durham Astronomical Society, with appropriate credits and link to your website etc, then yes please PM me. :grin:

Archived