Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

On the move with Dobsonian ?

Hi i have found a great spot up the road from me and was wondering how sturdy are these Dobsonian's 8" for carrying around ?

I was thinking of sticking it on my golf trolley ?

Regards Daren

Never laid my hands on a golfing trolley, but fishing wheelbarrows are all kind of awesome for carrying large heavy things about. Argos used to do a cheap one, but don't seem to stock it any more. One of them and some bungee cords to hold stuff down for the ultimate getting stuff moved experience.

I wondered whether one of those 100l rucksacks could about contain a safe portion of a dob tube, especially if it were modded - primary mirror facing downwards into the pack - soft footfalls would minimise the need to collimate and the dob base could be carried. There's a few hills near me where the track is only suitable for walking on, but affords 360 degree views......

A wheel barrow would be a great idea too. Somehow I think seeing a silhouette of a dob tube in a wheel barrow in a field in the dead of night might get some people worried if they were driving by.......:)

at moment i carry it around by the 2 handles eithier side of the tube - am hoping this is ok ?

That's how I used to carry my 8" Skywatcher dob around - didn't seem to do any harm.

John

Archived