NGC6888 - The Crescent Nebula

steppenwolf

This imaging lark is a funny old business - on Tuesday 18th the sky was spectacularly clear but I spent 40 minutes trying to fault-find a centring problem with my mount (I always centre my alignment star on a cross-hair in the middle of my CCD FOV and then Sync. to it with my planetarium software) only to discover that my chosen star was just on the meridian and the calibration movement were taking it either side of this imaginary line!

Next up was the inability to find a suitable guide star - I've never had this problem before. I tried a new target and the same thing happened again so I had an early night before I threw something valuable down the garden!!

Last night I set up again and was imaging in under 10 minutes - yup, a funny old business .... Same target too :)

Taken with my SXVF-M25C, 8" Skywatcher Reflector with Baader MPCC, EQ6 SkyScan Mount. 19 subs of 300 secs. each, guided, processed in PS7.

ngc6888_190809_l.jpg

Great result Steve - love the wispy nebulousity around the Crescent - the amount of times I processed that out as LP before I 'knew' about it!!

As to imaging foibles - yup, its a funny old lark - I know the feeling very very well of late! Its never just plain sailing in my opinion! And as soon as you get complacent that you've got it 'sussed', it turns round and bites you on the bum!

Cheers,

Richie

Archived