Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've been assimilated again...

Here's the new toy, with an eyepiece for comparison :)

Very cool little 'scope, although in typical Borg fashion there's a maze of adapters to navigate and i'm not quite there yet. Works at 230mm focal length, f/3.8 and i'm going to add a Kodak KAF8300 CCD to it (probably QSI 583) for widefield narrowband work. The field of view with a DSLR is enough to fit both the Horsehead and the whole of M42 on the chip at once, so should work out nicely...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Helical focuser is excellent - and with the 60ED it's mounted behind the objective lens so the whole setup from the tube rings back is solid, no possibility of the focuser slipping from a heavy CCD and should be very rigid too.

"Looking through" might be an issue, would need a whole new set of adapters ... very much a dedicated imaging 'scope as it stands.

Sure thing, I know you are on the whole, if not full blown Imagers, but as Ben included that gorgeous Ethos in the picture, I hopefully thought I might get a Peek Through it Kelling.

I shan't die with disappointment if No, it was merely a, "Well, I've seen what a Borg and a quality eyepiece can deliver.:)

Ron.

They're good visual 'scopes, the 77ED I had (and should never have sold) was a lovely widefield refractor. The main benefit there is that they're ultra-portable, it only takes a couple of minutes to split it back into the components and takes up no space - compare the attached picture side-by-side with an 80ED. Even the 5" ones are an easy carry-on item for air travel. If you don't need that portability they're pricey for visual use though, the real benefit comes with the f/4 reducers for imaging.

With this one I'd need to revisit the lengthy list of parts and work out how the hell I attach a diagonal to it :)

You don't get much change, but that's largely due to the imaging accessories - the 0.66x reducer, camera rotator and filter drawer all add substantially to the cost. In visual form as a 60mm f/5.8 ED refractor it's a bit under £500 if you buy it new in the UK (or quite a bit less if you import it, even after tax/shipping - the UK Borg dealer is not cheap)

I expect I will have my old Borg 76ED at kelling, sorry I don't have a nagler to go with it, though.

Nice little scope - recommended.

When I got my 76ED the price vs. exchange rate was very good.

/callump

Can't be any worse than Takahashi... surely!!!!:icon_confused

Believe me, i've got my Tak adapter-hell badge and the Borg is a whole new ballgame. You take this:

Hutech Astronomical Products - Borg Telescopes and Accessories

and try and make a telescope out of it (with correct spacing if you have the reducer/flattener in there). The list goes on for a long time!

You get to read through lots of stuff like

1. 13mm extension may be replaced with camera rotating ring (#7352).

2. Back focus (without two extension tubes): 75mm

3. Sample configurations for CCD cameras (remove both extension tubes):

* SBIG ST series:

7866 - 7352 - 7522 - CFW8A/ST series

* Starlight Express SX series (One shot color camera):

7866 - 7352 - 7603 - 7522 - SX series

4. Sample configurations for DSLR cameras:

* 7866 - 5001 to 5010 (with two extension tubes)

* 7866 - 7352 - 5001 to 5010 (13mm extension tube replaced with 7352)

and try and figure out what all that means if you want to include a 7259 as well as a 7352, which doesn't match the size of anything else and needs another adapter, or what it means if you want a filter wheel in there...

Believe me, i've got my Tak adapter-hell badge and the Borg is a whole new ballgame. You take this:

Hutech Astronomical Products - Borg Telescopes and Accessories

and try and make a telescope out of it (with correct spacing if you have the reducer/flattener in there). The list goes on for a long time!

You get to read through lots of stuff like

and try and figure out what all that means if you want to include a 7259 as well as a 7352, which doesn't match the size of anything else and needs another adapter, or what it means if you want a filter wheel in there...

Sure brings to mind the Krypton Factor Ben.:)

Ron.:grin:

Archived