Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OO Coatings / mirror problems

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got my fingers crossed that mine is one of his (apparently the manufacturer used his mirrors) but I've not really been able to try it out to determine the quality yet.

Didn't OO buy his mirror making equipment when he quit?

David used to etch his signature or something like that on the back IIRC.

I still have the 8 inch mirror and secondary somewhere.

I'll have to check but I reckon I'd have noticed any etching so I guess not - never mind it gave decent views even before the recoat so must be half decent I guess. I'll have to wait and see when it's back in one piece.

Just seen this thread, I wonder if the initial problem was simply that when originally ground the glass had small holes in it and that the grinding has revealed a few of these. Often mentioned in articals on mirror grinding.

Then any chemical that gets in would cause a reaction with the coating - Aluminium(?) which is a fairly reactive material.

We produce better quality glass/pyrex blanks then 10-20 years ago so it is less of a problem now.

My main concern would be slow creep of the blemishes over time.

Will agree that a better customer interface would help and it seems that many places forget that the customer usually does not have the experience and knowledge that they have. OO may have simply assumed that you were aware of the potential problems, having forgot that they see them every day.

Archived