NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 1805 through the mist

roundycat

The sky looked misty last night with cloud around the moon but I needed to do something other than sit and scratch. This is 5 15m frames through 6nm Ha which is needed to defeat the moon and light pollution from over Felixstowe but for some reason this time it didn’t work. I put it down to the mist in the atmosphere, the sky was quite clear without any colour from the lights in the docks but it left me with a huge gradient in that corner. Bottom right as you see it here.

Taken with the FSQ106/Artemis 11002 and guided by TMB152/Atik16. AP1200 doing its best to overcome the gross out of balance that I couldn’t be bothered with. Shown here with North to the left.

This is the second attempt recently, maybe for number three the sky and the moon will play ball.

Dennis

post-15519-133877390671_thumb.jpg

When I see your stars in the corners, I want to cry :)

Good use of a less than good night, there was loads of wispy stuff trying to ruin things.

This is my next project, looking forward to it even more after seeing this one!

Tim

That is lovely.

Shame about the gradient - but couldn't you just crop them out - you have a fair amount of room at the sides.

The detail is very nice indeed! I'd love to get images that good - maybe one day!!!

Aha, well I was wondering about the vignetting, yes, cos after all an FSQ should floodlight the monster Art 1100 okay. However, this gradient is lost on me. It may be a doddery old git moment on my part, too, but...er...where is it?

This needs no help from the mist to be a beggar to image, anyway. Wait till you try for the RGB! AS Bob Geldoff would say, 'Is that it?'

Olly

PS not a bad guidescope you have there!!!!!!

Olly, I think there is no problem with the 106 lighting up the chip as you say but to some extent that depends on the adaptors between camera and scope. If one of them clips the light cone that's your lot. The gradient is not there anymore! I managed to get rid of it after about 5 or 6 gradient selections in PS and tweaking it down in curves.

Last night was a proper clear night, I was at it until 4am, first time for months. Lots more data on 1396 and 1805; watch this space.

The guidescope is ok isn't it? Maybe a bit on the big side...........

Dennis

Excellent capture of the "Male member nebula" as I've heard it called it when North is to the left :-)

It looks like your setup is just great for the size of this nebula. I would't crop as a little bit of space around the nebula improves the overall feeling (IMVPO)

We're on the same objects at the mo then Dennis. I have an unsatisfactory Heart and IC1396 too. Both need time. I had dreamed of getting a predominantly natural colour 1396 but I don't think it's going to happen because the bright stars in the nebula are just too much for a short focal length to keep down to size. Ive got it looking promising with a heavy Ha luminance though. Good luck on both, anyway.

As for the male member, I thought it was just my mucky imagination so it's nice to be in bad company!

Olly

Archived