Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alt-Az oh what to get

Well i just don't know,

Ive been looking at simple mounts to plonk down on the patio and i can't make my mind up ??

Skywatcher AZ3 had one don't like it.

William Optics Ez Touch looks ok but no dovetail safety screw.

Vixen porta mount looks ok but will my knobs fall off.

Tele Vue very nice oh what a price.

I just dunno.

Mick.:)

Mick

Sky at Night magazine did a group test on alt/az mounts over £199 in December 2008. They tested Skywatcher SkyTee, WO Eztouch, Orion VersaGo and Vixen Porta. Build quality was won by WO - Orion last. Ease of use - Vixen won the others all equal. Vixen easily won the 'Features'. Stability won by WO with the others equal. Overall Vixen was best with WO second.

Before this article was published I bought the SkyTee which I really like. If you are going to Salisbury star party I am taking it on the Saturday. You are welcome to give it a try. I will be mounting a WO SD66 frac with either a 4" APO or my 6" SCT on the other side

Hope that is useful.

Mark

Before I got my Tele Vue Gibraltar I used a Vixen Portamount for my Vixen ED102SS refractor and was very impressed with it. The TV does have a much taller ash tripod though which helps prevent backache ....

John

Archived