NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY finder guider

adamsp123

I first used a cardboard tube from a kitchen roll to try the idea out in principle. The step on the QHY5 fitted the cardboard tube and that went inside the finderscope so I had a sliding focusing arrangement.

It worked, so I found a very old camera/focuser/EP adaptor that was a tad smaller than the finderscope tube, wrapped some foam in the middle section to give it a good grip inside the finder and fitted the QHY5 to the brass EP tube, voila a finder guider.

On the first finderscope I tried I found had to have the QHY5 pulled out a bit to find focus, but using the new finder from my GSO Newt I can get focus with the QHY5 adaptor fully in and use the front lens screw arrangement to get good focus.

The bottom line is to find anything that will hold the cam and fit inside the finderscope even if bits of tape etc a la blue peter are necessary because once you have it set up that is it!

Photos below:-

post-15319-133877389647_thumb.jpg

post-15319-133877389653_thumb.jpg

post-15319-13387738966_thumb.jpg

I use a 2"-1 1/4" EP adapter and sanded a few microns off the insert .This then went into the finder nice and snug ( [removed word] if you want to get it out again mind). This then allows you to fit the cam as if into a norm telescope focuser.

post-13438-133877389671_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
I use a 2"-1 1/4" EP adapter and sanded a few microns off the insert .This then went into the finder nice and snug ( [removed word] if you want to get it out again mind). This then allows you to fit the cam as if into a norm telescope focuser.

Hi Beamish

Ive got a spare Skywatcher finder and wouldnt mind turning one into a guider

When you say "sanded a few microns off the insert" which bit do you mean ?

Cheers

Greenkat

An alternative option that I have used successfully is an Antares 8*50 right angled uncorrected finder. This finder has a diagonal that presents a standard 1.25" fitting. There is sufficient adjustment to enable a Meade DSI or Toucam to achieve focus without shortening the tube, drilling holes or any other kind of surgery.

The trick is in adjusting the focus. The only apparent mechanism provided on the finder is sliding the eyepiece or imager in and out of the diagonal and locking in place with a thumbscrew. However the diagonal can also slide in and out of the finder tube and is locked in place with a grub screw that is turned with an allen key.

So what I did was fully insert the DSI into the diagonal then adjust the position of the diagonal relative to the main tube until the image was in focus. I then locked the diagonal in place with the allen key. So whenever the DSI is inserted into the finder it is immediately in focus.

I also fitted the eyepiece that came with the finder with a parfocal ring so that it would also achieve focus at the same position as the DSI.

I have found this to be a neat and effective solution. I can quickly swap between using the scope as a normal finder and as a guidescope.

I was referring to the 1 1/4" -2" adapter, the the cylindrical insert that fits into the 2" focuser. You'll find it's just a tad too wide to fit directly into the tube of the finder, which isn't quite 2" wide ID.

HTH

Karlo

Cheers for that Beamish:icon_salut:

Sanded some off the adapter on sat, kept trying for fit, kept sanding, then got the adapter stuck in at an angle and it wouldnt budge lol :D

dont worry, everything I do usualy goes **** up :headbang:

Ended up having to saw off a small section of the tube, with lots of obsene words whilst doing so, thinking I'de just wasted a good finder and adapter.

Managed to salvage it tho, had it guiding on sat night for a short time between clouds, and also a 25mm eyepiece can be used in it too :D

I've just recently finished making a DIY helical focuser for my 50mm finder/guide scope... Made from a £1.97 plumbing widget. If anyone is interested I can post details here, or in the DIY section?

I always found trying to get the camera at the correct focus position a nightmare, so I figured a very simple focuser (which gives about 10mm of travel) would be a nice project...

I've just recently finished making a DIY helical focuser for my 50mm finder/guide scope... Made from a £1.97 plumbing widget. If anyone is interested I can post details here, or in the DIY section?

I always found trying to get the camera at the correct focus position a nightmare, so I figured a very simple focuser (which gives about 10mm of travel) would be a nice project...

Do please post the details I am sure it will be of interest to people inc myself.

Before I start sanding down an adapter like Greenkat, does anyone have a proper measurement for the thread on the 9x50 scope. Like I said, if I know the thread size I'd turn something to fit and if people are interested make extra but I need to know the thread size.

Cheers for that Beamish:icon_salut:

Sanded some off the adapter on sat, kept trying for fit, kept sanding, then got the adapter stuck in at an angle and it wouldnt budge lol :D

dont worry, everything I do usualy goes **** up :headbang:

Ended up having to saw off a small section of the tube, with lots of obsene words whilst doing so, thinking I'de just wasted a good finder and adapter.

Managed to salvage it tho, had it guiding on sat night for a short time between clouds, and also a 25mm eyepiece can be used in it too :D

That's okay, you'll need to cut off about 7mm (approx") to bring the image to focus once the cam's in :)

I used a belt sander turned turtle and secured to a bench then turned the adapter in my hands whilst sanding , takes a while. If it gets stuck, use a small leather or rubber mallet to knock it out by trying to catch the outer rim of the adapter whilst slowly turning the tube in your hand.

Good luck !

Before I start sanding down an adapter like Greenkat, does anyone have a proper measurement for the thread on the 9x50 scope. Like I said, if I know the thread size I'd turn something to fit and if people are interested make extra but I need to know the thread size.

PM your address and I can send you the end ring from one of mine ( don't need it anymore) and you can take your measurements from that.

Ideally it would be nice to have the adapter cut down to size (insert) and then have a thread milled into it but hey..... it works.

KWIQguider in Canada sell specific adapter though not sure how much .

KW Telescope Kitchener Waterloo Ontario SkyWatcher Products

Besides this way gets the same result :headbang:

PS just noticed it's $40, they've never posted the price before !!!

• 3 months later...

I use Stellerium to drive the HEQ5 around with the 200P on it when I'm observing. When I do this I enter the 200mm/f5 details for the OTA into the Ascom Scope Driver.

I'm also imaging using my 9x50 finder guider with PHD and the same Ascom Scope Driver.

When I'm guiding should I change to the 50mm/f4 for the guide scope? I've never thought about it before.

• 1 month later...

Archived