NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomical observations from the year 1711

TakMan

I'd heard about this series of paintings by Donato Creti held at the Vatican Museum, so when the 'other half' and I visited a few months ago we went to take a peak!

Out of the 8 paintings, two were missing on the day: The Moon and Jupiter - although I've added those at the end.

Sorry about the quality - the paintings are pretty small and displayed in a fairy dark room so the camera was set at ISO6400 f2.8, hand held at 1/25sec! No flash or tripods allowed....

So:

Astronomical observations

Donato Creti (Cremona 1671 - Bologna 1749)

oil on canvas
cm. 51 x 35 each panel

Creti was born in Cremona but moved with his family to Bologna in 1673.

He seems to have studied under Lorenzo Pasinelli (1629 - 1700), the leading Bolognese painter of the time.

In 1709 Creti was one one of the founder members of the Accademia Clementina in Bologna. He painted decorative frescoes and some altarpieces, but most of his activity was for private patrons, including a commission for a series of paintings for the 2nd Duke of Richmond at Goodwood. His art is rich in allusions to the great traditions of Bolognese painting.

One memorable series in Creti's output is a series of small canvases depicting celestial bodies, disproportionately sized and illuminated, above nocturnal landscapes.

The paintings, commissioned in 1711 by the Bolognese count Luigi Marsili and intended as a gift to the Pope Clement XI, were meant to accentuate the need for the Papal States to sponsor an astronomical observatory.

With the support of Clement XI, the first public astronomical observatory in Italy was opened in Bologna a short time later. The eight small canvases display the sun, moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and a comet.

Uranus had not been discovered until 1781. His Jupiter depicts the Great Red Spot (first reported in 1665) and at least two moons.

The presence of the planets is dominant in the composition. They are depicted as observed with telescopes and various optical instruments (for which the artist had precise instructions) by small human figures in eighteenth century clothes, reabsorbed into the vastness of the nocturnal scene.

Thought some of you might find this interesting on another cloudy night....!

Regards

Damian

Second lot follow....

post-16760-133877388818_thumb.jpg

post-16760-133877388821_thumb.jpg

post-16760-133877388827_thumb.jpg

post-16760-133877388834_thumb.jpg

post-16760-13387738884_thumb.jpg

Always amazes me that they saw so much with primitive, by today standards instrutments.

Seeing the Red spot of Jupiter in 1665 would have been pretty strange I bet.

This made a very good read Takman thankyou for posting.

I bet Ashenlight will be interested in this.

Mick, I am astounded that you know me so well! I love stuff like this, right up my street. Thank you for posting Damian :)

Isn't it funny how the female figure in #2 is looking the wrong way when there appears to be a fireball streaking across the sky. Always the way!!

Yes, yes, yes!!

To be frank, I was (initially) a little disappointed. They really 'sexed it up' and it seems like it is taking the mickey out of them at times.... but it all adds up to good entertainment. Very charismatic bunch in my opinion - Rossetti is dashing. It is amazing to see events I have read about so many times for many years unfold in front of my eyes.

I could talk about this for hours!

Archived