SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice - DSOs with Binoculars Possible?

coolhandluke

I posted last week about doing some astronomy while I’m out in Africa. I was going to buy some Celestron 15x70 Bins to take with me and pop on a camera tripod as I can't get my 8" dobsonian in my hand luggage :). The problem is, I like my DSOs and would be gutted if I can't see any. I went out tonight to find dumbbell neb to test the binoculars I have but saw nothing :), Jupiter was a bit rubbish as well. Do you think I will see many DSOs with the Celestons? If not are there any reasonably priced bins that I could buy? Also are there any 20x of a similar size and price? Any advice would be appreciated.

There are loads of open clusters and globular clusters well within the capabilities of 15x70 binos. You should be able to pick out the Dumbbell neb and a few galaxies (M31, 81, 82). What part of Africa are you going to? If south of the equator you will have a whole new ball park to play in.

Im going to Eritrea, North Africa, next to Ethiopia. I can't wait, there is no light pollution at all. So do you think the 15x70 would be ok, would I see much more if I went for some 25x100? I cant really afford them but i could just about stretch if I didn't tell the misses. Do you know if these would be any good and if the price was right?...

Zhummell Tachyon 25x100 Observation Binoculars on eBay (end time 04-Aug-09 20:05:32 BST)

Thanks for your help.

Aperture for DSOs is going to win every time, although they will be heavier. For an answer to "are they any good", have a look at the reviews on this page Zhumell Tachyon 25x100 Astronomy Binoculars with Locking Aluminum Case - Binoculars at Binoculars

Click the review tab...

As to price - no idea - google is your friend :)

Have fun and don't catch anything nasty

Hi,

I have some 15x70 Revelation cheapos down here and love them. The Dumbbell is dead easy, for instance. The list also includes M81-2, M101, M33, the Lagoon, Wild Duck, M31 of course, and nice clusters like the Double, Coathanger and dozens of Messiers. It's all down to having a dark site.

I did have some Celestron 11x80s but the problem is that the exit pupil won't fit into your eye so the light is wasted.

The various incarnations of the Revelations come with a naff plastic tripod adapter but it stops being naff if you fill its hollow sections with Araldite and little steel rods such as small bolts. Thus stiffened it works a treat. A tripod is a semi-must for 15x70, I'd say.

Olly

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to go for a pair of 15x70 due to a mixture of cost and weight. I think the larger ones are just going to be too heavy to travel with. Also thanks for the tip with the tripod adapter mod Olly, I'll give that a go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Tripod Tripod Tripod!

You'll need a decent stand of some type to get things stable enough to see anything.

I have seen the Dumbbell easily in my 7X50 (and they are 35 years old now) but I was leaning against a car while doing it. I've even seen the moons of Jupiter with them by using the car as a stablizer.

If you can't take a tripod with you, get a long stick or something to help you hold them up. You'll be much happier.

I've done a fair bit of DSO viewing with hand-held Helios 15x70s. Obviously it helps if you have something solid to brace yourself or the binos against, and the view is never as steady as you can get with a tripod, but I find globs, clusters etc very nice to look at in this way. If you were going to take a tripod then you might as well have a scope rather than binos, e.g. an 80mm f5 (like Skywatcher Startravel etc). I have the Celestron-badged version and this is another thing I've taken on my travels apart from the binos. I've tried using a monopod with binos and it wasn't for me. Advantage of a small scope is choice of eyepiece, use of filters etc. When you take the dewshield off the 80mm scope you get a very small package. But if luggage room is tight it's the 15x70s for me, and no tripod.

I get you about the luggage space, but, again, a tree branch, a car top, or even a rock will do to help steady your aim.

One of our club members has a self stablizing Binocular. I have used them, but, they are too distracting for my tastes.

As I said, I am still using my 7x50s that I have had for 35 years. They still give me a great image and I can see a number of Deep sky splendors with them. They proved invaluable during my recent stab at the Urban Astronomy list.

A whole host of deep sky objects are visible with binoculars - and some of them look better in binoculars than a telescope. You will have a great time but I would concur with the need for a mount. I made a mirror mount (as described in Feb's Astronomy Now) and find it wonderful for chilled out, comfortable observing.

I took my 15x70 Strathspey binos and mirror mount to the Algarve a few summers ago and had a great time pulling in the Sagittarius-Scorpius objects that don't rise so high in the UK skies.

You'll have a great time: dry, desert skies, no light pollution and way down south.

I am looking forward to the reports already.

Mark

I used my Celestron 10x50's on a tripod in France last year... loads to see around the teapot (sagi), no problem at all with the globs and neb around there (from memory)... I think there were only 2 listed in TLAO I didn't get.

Archived