Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ-3 Mount question

Wyldcard

This seems like the place for this question:)

I have a Orion Starmax 127MM on a EQ-3 GEM,its a nice little performer but i am looking to already up-grade it........My question is will it hold a Meade LDX55 8" Schmidt-Cass. OTA:icon_scratch:

I know it will not do for astro-photography...but all i am looking for it to do is planetary and some DSO's viewing:D

I dont want to wreck my mount but if it can take the load with some degree of safety i will be more than happy:hello2:

Thanks for any info you all can give me............Thanks:icon_salut:

Mark

My first scope was a 6" short tube newt on an EQ3.

I soon realised that whilst it was happy to support the scope it wasn't very pleasant to look through, particularly at higher magnifications. It became impossible to focus due to the vibrations caused by just a light touch on the focuser wheel. Now I know the cats you are looking at are shorter still than my newt but I would seriously consider upgrading to a mount atop a steel tripod if you go for a bigger scope. You may find it works out cheaper to buy a complete setup than buy a mount and ota separately.

My 6" now rides a CG5 with a 2" steel tripod. It is so sturdy I don't think it has realised it has a scope on board! Unfortunately it doesn't get much use as it is currently in France and I'm not.:)

Hi Mark.

I have the Celestron version of this mount the CG-4 it has the same equatorial head but a better more stable set of tripod legs.

As for loading i think its limit is in the 127mak, 100 long tube refractor or a 150 newt.

I did use my 150mm fl 750 newt on this mount and it seemed ok upto about 200x mag after this it will struggle.

I did try the Skywatcher pro 150 mak on this mount and it was ok until it got windy, remember i have the upgraded steel legs and i feel the legs on the standard EQ-3 are a little flimsy.

For the scope in question i would go for the HEQ-5 mount as a starting point.

HTH Mick.

i feel the legs on the standard EQ-3 are a little flimsy.

Couldn't agree more and I think that was more the problem with the 6" than the mount itself.

If you really need to upgrade the scope without upgrading the mount then there are a few tricks to improve the stability of the alu tripod that involve filling the legs with sand or expanding foam to reduce their resonant frequency. The former also increases the weight a little to help keep it steady. Putting a weight on the accessory tray can also help.

I have the EQ3-2 and have used a skymax 127 Mak in the past and now use a Orion Optics OMC 140.

if I had a 8" sct (i wish) i wouldnt use an EQ3-2, it's just not up to holding something that big steady enough.

Paul

I have an EQ3-2 mount and love it, it is what I would consider to be the minimum spec. for some astro-photography but I agree with the others, the 8" would be too much for it for visual use, let alone anything more.

Archived