Hey im new :)

Hey just thought i would introduce myself im 13 years old 14 on 2nd of august :) and im realy new to the hole thing, i wanted to get into it so im buying a telescope for my birthday, i am looking to spend about £120 on one i found one i like with a camera adapter to plug into my computer what do you guys think of this one?

700-76 Seben Telescope + USB PC Digital Eyepiece VGA on eBay (end time 19-Aug-09 08:34:44 BST)

Hi Chris and welcome. Unfortunately the Seben Telescopes kinda got a bad reputation. Seen many a one getting re-sold after a very short use. If you can stretch to an extra ten pounds mate I would really think about getting this one actually.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145PM

It also is motor driven where as the Seben is not, way better deal IMHO.

Dont want to burst you're bubble , esp' as it's a birthday gift but would hate for you to spend that kind of money to be disappointed and maybe put off astronomy .

Hi Chris and a warm welcome,

I've been recently been looking to upgrade to a better scope and have looked into the Seben's and I've got to argree with Herakles they have a very bad rep. All the forum talk I've seen is there not good and none of the decent suppliers will sell them.

Skywatchers on the other hand have a great rep with the forums the astro magazines and are sold by all the good suppliers like First Light Optics this forums sponser (and in the link Herakles sent you). I know it's a birthday present so you probably want to buy new but second-hand is also an option you can get more for your money that way.

So hope that helps you, the only other thing I would add is I have just bought a Skywatcher and when my son is a few years older the Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145pm would be my first choice as a beginners scope for him. :)

Must agree. I started out with one of those plastiky 76x700's given as gift. You can see some detail on the Moon, brighter clusters and rough detail on Saturn and Jupiter and that's about it. It was only £40. After I got into the whole thing, I bought some decent binos, which altough only slightly more expensive, were much, much better than the scope. The scope mentioned above would be a much better option than the Seben, for the £10, it is probably 5 times better. For proof, go on ebay and look at the number of 76x700's available second hand. I know a few people with them, they end up gathering dust in a box. So I would reccommend either the Skywatcher Skyhawk or some decent 10x50s (or something like that), with the books Turn Left at Orion orsimilar if and when you have some spare money (I'm fifteen, I know ;-) ) and ask loads of questions on this forum.

The differance between a good scope and a bad scope is huge. Do not get the seben. Spend the extra £10 and get the skywatcher. The seben you will use 2 or 3 times and you'll never use it again. The skywatcher will be used a lot.

Do not expect to see hubble space telescope like images through your scope, Im afraid the human eye doesnt work in the same way as a camera works. I have shown a lot of people saturn through my scope and the always say the same 2 things

1 "Oh my God"

2 "Isnt it small"

Im not trying to put you off, just making sure that your expectations arent too high. Astronomy is a great hobby.

If you can download

stellarium.org

Its a great way of learning the sky and its free!

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Others have given very sound advice. It is true Seben and other e-bay scopes have a bad build quality and reputation. The last think I and many would want is you to buy a scope that after a few views you are dissapointed with and for this to tarnish your view of astronomy.

£120 is not a great deal of money but for £10 more there is this option from FLO's

Reflectors - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145PM

You could also look on the for sale section here. At times some bargains do appear.

Best of luck on your hunt to find a good scope.

Archived