Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

bino's with a tinted lens?

Just seen some 7x50 bino's on e bay they have a tinted lens, is that ok? they are going very very cheap £3.99 plus £6 postage are they worth my while buying to help me on the way till I can get some better ones??

Hmmmm. Looks like it. These coatings reflect light at the red end of the spectrum, so will give your subject a slight colour tint (towards blue/green). I would also have to question how good the optics are generally for £3.99. I have a pair of similar binos - not bought for astronomy I hasten to add! They are mediocre for daytime use and carp for stargazing. Save your cash.

Hmmmm. Looks like it. These coatings reflect light at the red end of the spectrum, so will give your subject a slight colour tint (towards blue/green). I would also have to question how good the optics are generally for £3.99. I have a pair of similar binos - not bought for astronomy I hasten to add! They are mediocre for daytime use and carp for stargazing. Save your cash.

Thanks thought it might be worth asking, im saving for a decent pair at the mo , so will hang on for them!!

Clear skies over Banbury tonight!!!:)

they are going very very cheap £3.99

If the bargain seems too good to be true, it is. Try making a pair of binoculars using milk bottle bottoms as lenses, they'll probably work at least as well as those things.

Bino lenses should have anti reflection coatings and not actually be "tinted" as that is a disaster for astronomical use as every photon is precious. I suspect they are probably just coated, but the description doesn't inspire confidence. See if LIDL are still doing Bresser 10x50 at £15. Now those were a good deal.

7x50 would make a good viewfinder for those inclined to some telescope DIY mods.

If the bargain seems too good to be true, it is. Try making a pair of binoculars using milk bottle bottoms as lenses, they'll probably work at least as well as those things.

THANKS FOR THE TIP!! :)

I took a look through some cheap ($12.99) binocs at a fundraiser table a few weeks ago. They had a brand name on them, but still, it was the first time I had ever experience kidney-beaning in a set of binocs. My own cheap ($40) binocs have a ruby coating, and give a slight bluish cast to the stars, but they work OK. Don't buy a pair unless you can at least have a look-see.

Went to see Simple Minds a year or so back and my friend had a pair of "Ruby coated, awesome magnification, night vision, see everything like you are next to it" bins. I had the Meade (same as the Bressers). Mine were OK, but his made that stage look like the Chinese New Year!

You have to ask yourself *why* are the optics so bad they need that coating - but then, if it's so good why is your refractor not covered in the same stuff?

Arthur

on the other hand, I bought an Opticron 8x42 BGA several years ago. They go everywhere with me, brilliant performance. You can get them now for around £450, you get what you pay for. You can stick your Leicas at twice the price.

Dennis

most of us pay for what we can afford.

Quite so, and anything in the way of optical aid will show more than nothing, but paying £4 for bins and £6 for p&p is really scraping the barrel .... you can get nice bins for £100, if you're lucky then even the £20 type might be acceptable, but the expensive ones really are an order of magnitude nicer to use in almost every way. But note that they're usually heavier - even lightweight magnesium bodies have a significant weight when engineered to last 30 years (ab)use.

Have a look at Strathspey, very nice and priced from about £50 up.

Also, and I stand prepared to get shot down for this (but go look at the spec first) you may want to consider the Konus "Green" range - especially if you wear glasses but not exclusively. They are by far the most comfortable bins I have ever put to my eyes - and I mean that from the eye muscles and ease to actually *look through* side of things. Some bins are just so damned hard to get a decent image with that they're not worth the effort - even with the best optics in the world. And there are, of course better optics out there, but for the price and comfort they're hard to beat.

Arthur

I've heard that bins with coloured coatings should be avoided...

Yes, definitely. Mono-coatings (usually gold, red or orange) do increase contrast (compared to uncoated glass) but they are normally only applied to cheap/horrible binoculars and produce a colour-cast so are best avoided.

Archived