NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

StarmapPro for the iPhone / Ipod Touch

Neil M

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered a 32gb 3Gs the other day too. Should have it tomorrow :D Way way ahead of schedule. I just recieved my Servocat drive for my dob and escaped the Customs Duty/VAT net saving me 325 euros :D I had the saving spent 6 hours later on the iPhone :)

Can't wait. I never jumped on the camera phone bandwagon never mind the smartphone bandwagon. The feature sets just didn't wow me. Now, finally for the same price as my brother has been paying for his uber phones down through the years, there is finally a phone that lives up to the smartphone hype and is worth every penny.

Picture this:

I ring my observing buddies on the iPhone to let them know its time to head off to the camping starparty.

I program my destination into the iPhone sat nav app.

I que up the music playlist on the iPhone for the journey before heading off.

Arrive on site a few hours later.

I check the weather and sat images for the night on the iPhone. Things are looking good

I set up the scope and control it handsfree from the iPhone planetarium app.

After a great nights observing I retire to my tent. Not quite sleepy yet so I post my observing report to these forums with the iPhone. Still not sleepy, so I watch a few TV shows or movies on the iPhone.

Next day I decide to do some sightseeing in the area. iPhone tells me whats worth seeing, where it is, and how to get there...............

This is just scratching the surface, but already the level of technology convergance is amazing :)

Did say these things were the ducks doobries in the AN review last year...

Starmap Pro is a wicked bit of software...and has made the MySky (now discontinued) and the Celestron equivalent redundant

the march of technology just never stops..

Toying with VNC on the ipohone to control the netbooks running EQ mod at the mo..

Just got the iPhone today and already downloaded Sky Voyager. Oh My! :D I'm going to have some fun with this :) I've put my name down for the Sky-Fi Wifi to serial adapter and am number 61 on the pre-order list. This is so cool. I'll be able to use the sky view to see if there is anything interesting in the area, pull up data, descriptions and even images of the object. If I like the look of it one just goes to the scope control tab and presses goto. Or I can browse all the catalogues, select an object there and then press the scope control tab and hit goto.

Just downloaded Moon Atlas

What I have been looking for all along!!

Couldn't seem to figure out how to get SNP+ on the laptop to show the Newt view, nor get it to name the biggest craters...or the smallest for that matter. It seemed I could only go through the list of craters and tell it which to label. Not much use when its an unidentified crater you want a name for in the first place. Turn on all labels and one couldn't see the surface of the moon with all the text label overlays! :D Paper moon Atlases were not much better. Flicking through pages to find the crater in question.

Moon Atlas App on iPhone is a revelation to me.

I can flick it to Newt view. It shows the biggest features without the map being cluttered with text but when I zoom in on the crater I want a name for I get further labels. ie. Its scalable labling. I am going to be doing a lot more lunar observing now!! :)

Archived